St. Patrick’s Day is coming up, so why not bake something green! (It’s better than green beer, in my opinion!)
Seems I’m starting a theme with this. Last year, it was these Mint Chocolate Chip Brownie Cupcakes. This year? Something a little easier, and naturally green (no food coloring required!).
Please welcome pistachios to our baking repertoire. Or more specifically, pistachio butter.
You know, like peanut butter. Or almond butter. Only…with pistachios.
It’s super-easy to make. You throw shelled pistachios in the food processor, and grind until they become a paste. (I discuss the process in this post, where I made homemade almond butter.) Then you scrape out that pistachio butter and use it in the cookie recipe, just like you would any other nut butter. Easy peasy.
That is, unless you’re trying not to interrupt your husband, who is just a few feet away in the living room, trying to watch something on television. In those cases, you do as I do. Announce that you’re about to make a bunch of racket, apologize, and then flip on the food processor. Okay, so that’s not exactly successful. He has to pause the show, and often feigns annoyance. (Our living room and kitchen are very open and relatively small.) But he forgives me. And I offer him cookies. It works for us.
As for the rest, it’s definitely simple. Mix the other ingredients in, scoop out onto baking sheets, and go. This is why I love cookies. They’re typically a one or two-bowl thing, and you’re rewarded in relatively short order with warm, fresh baked goods. It’s nearly instant gratification. It doesn’t get much better than that.
These can be a perfect treat to tuck into kids’ lunches (or your own!), to bring to the office, or to serve at any St. Patrick’s Day celebration. (Maybe to sop up the green beer?) They’re deliciously chewy, soft, and sweet, with a pistachio flavor. Who doesn’t love that?
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup pistachio butter (made from processing a little over 2 cups of shelled, roasted pistachios)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (Or your favorite gluten-free mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle blade, cream together the butter, pistachio butter, and sugars. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture until evenly mixed. Add chocolate chips and stir in.
- Refrigerate batter for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough in 1 inch balls and put on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cookies start to brown at the edges. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes, and transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling, if you can wait that long.