The BEST Coffee Ice Cream Ever…And It’s Dairy-Free!

A good coffee ice cream is pure heaven. It simply must have strong (but not bitter) coffee flavor, balanced perfectly with just the right level of sweetness, and have enough cream and richness to really feel silky and to satisfy. And now, since I am dairy-free, it has to be friendly to my belly.

Naw, I don’t have high standards. I just know what I want.

And now that it’s getting to be the time of year where a cool version of my most-necessary-beverage-of-all-time is highly appreciated. And dessert is always welcomed. In other words, I need ice cream, stat.

Good thing this coffee recipe delivers. I know, that’s quite the confident title too. Best coffee ice cream ever?

Well, I’ll let you be the judge. But I’ll let you know that it’s full on coffee flavor, sweet but not too sweet, and the coconut milk used makes it creamy and silky and delicious. It’s also pretty easy to make. I opted not to use egg yolks, so there’s no need to make a custard before chilling, and it’s vegan. The only downside I can see is that it’s gone too soon. In fact, I think it’s time I make more!

[print-link]

Vegan Coffee Ice Cream

2 cans full-fat coconut milk

1 c agave nectar (can substitute maple syrup, sugar, or honey, if desired)

1 c whole coffee beans (use decaf, unless you want a caffeine buzz with your ice cream!)

A pinch of salt

3/4 c water

1/4 t guar gum

1 t vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, agave nectar, coffee beans, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and guar gum and add to the saucepan. Heat the mixture until it’s just about to boil, whisking, and remove from heat. Allow to steep for 2 hours.

Strain the coffee beans from the mixture using a fine-meshed sieve with a large bowl underneath to catch the cream. Whisk the vanilla extract into the cream. Chill the cream mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until cold.

Process ice cream in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze for several hours or until firm, or serve immediately for soft serve.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Comments

You need to start a food truck, Alta, and come deliver a pint of this to me!! You could call it Tasty Eats Hits the Streets. :) Seriously, though, this looks so good. And I don’t even drink coffee.

2. Bryant says

Oh my! If only I had an ice cream maker! I buy my coffee from a local roaster who started his business as a hobby and a labor of love. I love my two cups a day and I do love ice cream. And non-dairy sounds so, um, healthy.

Bryant – Definitely time to invest in one, I say. I haven’t tried making it without an ice cream maker, although I do hear of people making ice cream without one, where they go in the freezer and stir with a fork every hour or so. Might be worth experimenting!

Kate – It IS the best! Of course, I could totally see using my coffee ice cream IN my coffee, you know, for that extra coffee-flavored creamer. LOL

3. Joanne says

I was licking my lips ready to make some till I got to the guar gum in the list of ingredients. I’m on the SCD diet and guar gum is not allowed, is there something else that I can use as a substitute that is SCD legal?

Joanne – You can certainly leave it out. It might not be AS creamy…but you could also lower the amount of water to compensate for that. :)

Cheryl – You can use xanthan gum, or leave it out. It might not be as creamy, but you can also lower the amount of water to compensate.

4. Gail says

Yeeeeeeessss! Thank you Alta! Been waiting for almost three years since going gluten free for someone to come up with some coffee ice cream. My daughter got me an ice cream attachment for my kitchen aid mixer, and I am going to make the ice cream this coming weekend. I am going to use xanthum gum in the place of guar gum.

Thanks ladies for all your hard work in coming up with these great recipes.

5. Donna says

Can you substitute almond milk for cocount milk or not….I hate the taste of coconut but love coffee ice cream.

Donna – I haven’t tried substituting almond milk. My only concern would be that it’s not creamy enough with almond milk. Maybe if you made a homemade cashew milk? Soak some cashews, add just enough water and blend to make a thick creamy milk, and go from there? I’m brainstorming on this one, as I haven’t tried it. I personally can’t taste the coconut flavor in the coconut milk, but then again, I use so much coconut stuff that maybe I’m “immune” to the slight coconut flavor. The coffee flavor is strong enough in my opinion to mask any coconutty taste.

6. Holly says

Being gluten and dairy free has been a challenge the last year or so. Thank you so very much for this recipe! I made it this afternoon, and my gluten and dairy loving husband loved it too! I think next week I’m going to try some different flavors, other them coffee. This recipe has found it’s way to the top of my favorites!

7. Ron says

Could one use an egg yolk instead of guar gum? It’s an emulsifier, right? Hunting down a $7 bag of guar gum for a quarter tablespoon is just crazy.

Ron, I see no reason why not. You could simply heat the cream (once it’s strained of the coffee beans) over low heat slowly, and whisk the egg in until it’s thickened – like a custard. It’s a more traditional way of making ice cream anyway. I always have guar gum on hand for gluten-free baking, so for me, it’s easy. :)