Honey Teff Bread

It’s been a while since I’ve baked bread. I don’t really do it much – I don’t often have the time to allow dough to rise and all that jazz – and besides, up until recently, I haven’t done well when consuming many grains. (Over time, though, I’m finding I’m more able to tolerate them in moderate amounts. Hooray for healing!) But the other day, I decided it was time. Time to get back out the flours, knead some dough, and make some real, honest, good bread. I’ve been working on a bread that would be delicious for sandwiches for a long while. I was inspired by this recipe over at The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen, but I played, played, and played some more with the recipe. I wanted to make something that was corn-free, so my corn intolerant family members could enjoy it, and so I used different flours and in varying amounts until it was right for me.

What I love about this bread is that it’s not dry. It doesn’t have to be toasted to be enjoyable, and it doesn’t crumble when made into a sandwich. It’s pliable, flavorful, and filling. I’ve enjoyed several turkey sandwiches with it this week, in fact. A sandwich is a simple thing, really, but it’s something I’ve missed. I’ve never been a huge sandwich “person”, but to have one every now and then is truly wonderful.

Anyway, back to this bread. I highly encourage you to try out a loaf for yourself. It’s therapeutic. Kneading dough is something many of us gluten-free bakers rarely get to do anymore. Usually, gluten-free dough isn’t kneadable. This is. Take advantage of it, and release some stress! You won’t overwork the dough – there’s no gluten in it, after all! Then relieve more stress when you bite into your first slice, because after all, my friend, it’s the best thing since…well, it is sliced bread!

[print-link]

Honey Teff Bread (gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free) – adapted from Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen

2 ½ c warm water (105-110 degrees)

2 active dry yeast packets

3 T honey

2 T extra virgin olive oil

1/3 c ground chia seeds

¼ c psyllium husk powder

1 c teff flour

½ c sorghum flour

1 c millet flour

½ c sweet white rice flour, plus more for kneading

2 t kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling

Place the warm water in a bowl or 4-cup liquid glass measure. Add the yeast and honey, whisk together. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes to activate the yeast. The mixture should get foamy or bubbly.

While the yeast is activating, mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

After the yeast mixture is all bubbly, whisk in the olive oil, ground chia seeds, and psyllium husks into the water-yeast mixture. Let stand for a minute or two to let the chia and psyllium get thick.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until thick. I usually start by using a wooden spoon and then eventually get in there with my hands for this step. Knead the dough to incorporate the flour – you could do this on a floured wooden board, or do as I do, and simply knead while it’s in a large bowl. Add additional sweet white rice flour, a little at a time, until the dough holds together and isn’t too sticky (about ¼ to ½ cup total). Form dough into a ball and cover with a damp towel. Place in a warm spot to rise. Let dough rise for an hour or until doubled in size.

After the dough has risen, place a pizza stone in your oven on the center rack. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Punch down the dough a bit and knead again for a minute or two. Form into a round ball. Place on a piece of parchment paper and use a sharp knife to cut slits on top. Pour a little olive oil on your hands and lightly rub over the top of the bread, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Let rise for about 30 minutes while the oven and stone are preheating.

Carefully lift the parchment paper with the risen loaf on top and place it onto the stone in the oven. Bake for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for an hour before cutting into it. It is preferred to allow to cool on a rack to allow air to circulate around the loaf. The bread will be somewhat gummy if cut into while the loaf is still hot.

Store leftovers for a day at room temperature, but store in the refrigerator for longer term storage – about a week.

Comments

1. Samantha Matete says

The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen ‘Farmhouse Seed Bread’ is a great recipe to adapt your own from I agree! I have been doing the same with incorporating other great recipes I have researched using psyllium, which I think is the key to unlocking a ‘real’ loaf of bread gluten free! Gina at Gluten free Gourmand and Shauna at Gluten Free Girl have some wonderful bread recipes.

2. Annette Filpi says

This bread looks fab! Do you think I could make this in my bread maker? It has a GF setting?

Annette – I have never used a bread maker, so I honestly have no idea. If you give it a go, let us know how it turned out!

3. Kelly Smith says

This looks wonderful! Do you think I can substitute sweet brown rice flower for the sweet white rice flour?? Thanks!

Kelly – I have never used sweet brown rice flour, actually! Where do you get it? I am sorry, but I don’t know the answer to that one. My guess (and it’s completely a guess) would be that you could – the bread might end up a bit more dense is my only thought.

• Kelly Smith says

I had some sushi rice which I ground for my sweet rice flour. The bread is in the oven right now. 10 minutes left until it’s done!

Kelly – How’d it turn out? What did you use to grind your rice? I’ve used my Vitamix to grind raw buckwheat groats but never rice…I wonder if it’d come out fine enough!

• Kelly Smith says

It turned out GREAT! It tastes like real bread – yay – and I enjoyed kneading it. I used my dry container for my vitamix to grind the sweet rice flour. It’s really crusty…which I love…but it’s a bit much for my daughter who’s missing her two front teeth. Any suggestions to make it with a softer crust?? Thanks again! We enjoyed having toast this morning.

Kelly – You could always cool it with some foil wrapped around – or place it in a Ziploc bag before fully cooled. There will be some moisture that will condensate on the bag and will soften the crust. I tend to be a crusty bread lover myself, so I’m all about trying to get that crust! LOL SO glad you enjoyed it!

• Kelly Smith says

Alta,

I have played around with this recipe a lot, and it always turns out. In place of the sweet rice flour, brown sweet rice flour does work. So does buckwheat. So does oat. Just thought you should know! Thank you for blessing my daughter with morning toast.

4. Krista Foley says

Do you have ideas to replace psyllium, chia seeds, and rice flour? I have lots of other flours and gf oat bran and flaxmeal…
    Looks yummy, just don’t have those ingredients.
    Thanks!

Krista – I haven’t experimented with removing those three ingredients in this particular recipe, so I honestly am merely guessing here. Psyllium could be replaced by gums, such as xanthan or guar – but the liquid would need to be lessened, and of course, you’d need much less gum. Not sure how much – maybe a teaspoon or two? Chia seeds can be replaced by ground flax in other recipes, so I imagine that would work here. Other flours that have similar weights to the rice flours could be substituted, I imagine, without too much trouble. Truthfully, though, with so many substitutions, it’s definitely going to be an experiment on your part. If you decide to make a go of it, let us know how it turns out!

I made this today with. Few tweaks. I decided I wanted a loaf so baked mine with only one rise in a 9 x 5 loaf pan, baked a full hour!
    A great loaf with a great texture, you know I love me some teff flour!

Tessa – Thanks for letting me know how this turned out! Also, I’m glad to hear it worked in a loaf pan. I want to try that next!

Amazing recipe Alta! Just pinned it for safe keeping (I really do make things from my pins!). You’ve inspired me to give that darn psyllium another try :)

Ashleigh – I imagine replacing the honey with agave nectar or even sugar would work just fine. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!