Maple-Pecan Rice Crispy Treats

Maybe these should be called “Thanksgiving” Rice Crispy Treats? They’re kind of a lighter, kid-friendly version of a pecan pie in rice crispy treat form. They’re far easier to make than pecan pie, however. If you’re looking for a last-minute, no-bake, tasty treat for the holiday (or anytime, really), these might just be the perfect thing.

And yes, I’m fully aware that I’m in a bit of a maple and pecan rut. I made donuts with maple and pecans on top, and I also shared a maple pecan freezer fudge on The Balanced Platter in the past few weeks. What can I say? It’s a good combo, and it’s that time of year. Why not celebrate two of my most favorite ingredients as often as possible?

[print-link]

Maple-Pecan Rice Crispy Treats (gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free)

3 c gluten-free brown rice crispies (I used Erewhon)

1/3 c pecan butter (make the pecan butter according to the instructions in this recipe)

1/3 c maple syrup (Grade B, preferably)

1/4 c creamed coconut/coconut butter/coconut cream concentrate*

pinch of salt

Place rice crispies in a large bowl. Set aside. Grease an 8X8 inch baking dish and set it aside.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, add pecan butter, maple syrup, creamed coconut, and salt. Stir together until everything melts and mixes completely, and starts to bubble. Continue to stir constantly while bubbling for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir mixture into bowl with rice crispies, stirring well until evenly distributed throughout. Scoop into greased dish and press down evenly. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 9 squares.

*about creamed coconut/coconut butter/coconut cream concentrate: It’s all the same thing; it just depends who makes it. Let’s Do Organic calls it creamed coconut , Artisana calls it coconut butter, Nutiva calls it coconut manna , and Tropical Traditions calls it coconut cream concentrate. Lexie of Lexie’s Kitchen made some from scratch. I have used several of these brands with success, and have even made my own. Any of those will work just fine in this recipe.

Have any unique twists to traditional Thanksgiving recipes? Share them at Udi’s Gluten-Free Living Community!

Comments

Oh, Em, Gee!!! I am a FANatic for rice crispy treats of any kind! What great flavors to put together and the maple syrup is fabulous!!! You are my hero!

France – I feel the same way sometimes! It’s nice to have something that is whole foods based that reminds you of childhood nostalgia! :)

We are on the same wavelength! I made this recipe (varied a bit) earlier in the season (not published online though). Your version looks AMAZING!

That is confusing about the coconut cream concentrate, as the liquid forms have the same name! We need a uniform coconut code :)

3. Melissa says

These sound sooooo good! I would love to try them. Do you have any suggestion for a substitution for the coconut butter for those who have an allergy? I’ve never used it so I don’t know the consistency.

Melissa – Gosh, I’m not completely sure. The oil in the coconut butter solidifies easily, which is why it’s helpful in this recipe. So subbing another fat might not be so easy. Cocoa butter would be similar – if you have pure cocoa butter, that could work. Or for a different taste, chocolate. I would be wary of palm shortening being acceptable, but if you try, let us know what happens!

4. Meghanne says

These were worth more than the three minutes it took to make them! I made them for Thanksgiving tomorrow, but I may need to make a second batch because I don’t think these will last the night!