Creamy Peach Popsicles, and a Live Chat about Independence Day!

Well, folks, summer is in full swing around here. For the past 4-5 days, the mercury just keeps on rising. The forecast for today: 104. Tomorrow? 105. Not a cloud in sight. Of course, 100-degree days aren’t abnormal around here. We usually get several each summer. Last year, however, we reached a new record of 71 100+ degree days. That’s seventy-one. With a seven. Seeing as how this time last year, we already saw 100 degrees quite a few times, I’m thankful that we just saw it for the first time this year yesterday. But regardless, it’s hot.

Too hot to bake.

So instead, popsicles are in order. Homemade popsicles are pretty easy to make. Simply puree something tasty, pour it into the popsicle mold, and throw in the freezer. The waiting is the hardest part. (Yes, typing that immediately stuck the Tom Petty song into my head. Where it will likely remain for a few hours. In case you live under a very large rock and have no idea what I’m talking about, or else would like to take a moment to jam out, here ya go. You’re welcome.)

In my opinion, these are welcomed by kids and adults alike. Unlike store-bought popsicles, these aren’t overly sweet, making them much more palatable. Also, without gobs of added sugar and artificial dyes, the kids are much less likely to be bouncing off the walls – something we’re all thankful for when they’re home for the summer! Besides, if you use fresh, in-season fruit, you won’t need all of those added ingredients, because the flavors will be full without help.

Of course, in this recipe, I used peaches (I had a few that were nearly overripe, so they were perfect for this use), but you could use just about any fruit you desire. Also, feel free to adjust the sweetener (or omit it entirely) as you see fit. For my peaches, just a touch made all the difference. If you have a crowd of kiddos over for Independence Day celebrations, these would be a wonderful treat to keep them cool and happy. Just put them up in the freezer in advance, and dessert is ready!

Speaking of Independence Day, tomorrow night at 7PM CDT I am co-hosting a Live Chat over at Udi’s Gluten-Free Living Community. We’ll be talking about all things Independence Day. So bring your party ideas, or come to get some new ones! Hope to see you there.

Okay, okay, you want the recipe for the popsicles. Here ya go.

Creamy Peach Popsicles (gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free)

5 medium peaches, pitted and roughly chopped (I left the skins on – the “peachy” flavor seems to be stronger when I do)

1/4 c coconut milk

1 T agave nectar

1/4 t vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour into six popsicle molds. Freeze for at least 4-6 hours.

Serves 6.

Need more popsicle recipe ideas? Check out this selection at The Balanced Platter!

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free and GFE Virtual Gluten-Free Support Group August 2012 over at Gluten-Free Easily.

Comments

Sounds just about right on par with what we are doing here in AZ! LOL In fact, I have some frozen recipes coming too. It is 107 here today and about the same is expected for the next…60 days at least. Heehee!!
    These Peach Popsicles sound amazing! We will have to make some when we get our box of peaches in the next couple of weeks!! :D

These look terrific, Alta! I love the simplicity of this recipe. Very interesting on leaving the skins on, too. We got a brief reprieve on temps today and next two days, but it will be near 100 on Thursday and 103 on Friday! :-)

Too funny! Did you see the recipe I just posted for blueberry pops using coconut mik? Too hot to bake here too! Those sound delicious, I might have to give them a go with some raw honey.

We just made something similar the other night. Instead of agave we used stevia. I also didn’t have popsicle molds so I used disposable plastic cups with popsicle sticks from some craft items. They turned out GREAT. No mess to clean up and everyone loved them. I really like the idea of coconut milk instead of the almond milk I used – will have to try this on the next batch I’m experimenting with.

I’ve got to get me some of those popsicle molds because these look SO VERY GOOD! Love the use of coconut milk and agave with all that peach!

Mjskit – These molds are great! A minute or two out of the freezer and the popsicle slides out beautifully. (You can also run the mold under water and it’ll loosen)

France – Grass is always greener, right? It’s only June and I’m already sick of it! It was 106 yesterday. Too hot for my taste. Guess I live in the wrong part of the country then! LOL

Angela – I love the disposable cups idea. I just never have either in the house! And using stevia would be great.

Caralyn – I LOVE peach too – as evidenced by the number of peach recipes on this blog. LOL

Alisa – I did! Gonna have to try blueberry next!

Shirley – I’ll be thinking about you as the week draws to a close – I imagine that’s pretty hot for your part of the world!

Kim – I don’t envy your heat in AZ!

CJ – I love getting a bunch of peaches! I’m hoping to pick up a bunch of seconds soon, before the season is over!

1. […] Hope you enjoy these Five Friday Finds! (Images come from the recipes and are pinned on Pinterest.) Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon – How Sweet It Is Pizza Burgers – Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen Grilled Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Dressing – For the Love of Cooking Raspberry Cream Cheese Cups – DJ's Sugar Shack Creamy Peach Popsicles – Tasty Eats at Home […]