Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)

Remember cinnamon raisin toast? That warm, slightly sweet slice of bread, swirled with cinnamon and studded with raisins, slathered with butter, made the best breakfast. We didn’t have it often when I was growing up, but it was a treat when it was around. I didn’t realize just how special it was until I went gluten and dairy-free, and could no longer enjoy it.

Then it became another one of those fond food memories, forever tucked away in my brain, pulled out only every once in a while for reminiscing.

Then one day, I decided that I needed to bring back a version of that breakfast treat. I don’t often make or eat breads anymore, but an exception needed to be made for this. But I wanted to make it both full of nutrition and full of that cinnamon-y goodness. I also wanted to make it grain-free, since I feel best when I’m not consuming too much in the way of grains (and subsequently, that also makes it paleo-friendly and lower-carb).

I wasn’t sure the best way to go about making a grain-free bread, but then I remembered the bread I’d made based on AndreAnna’s recipe a while back when I adopted her for Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger. That recipe used almond butter. The wheels started turning. Could I do the same with this loaf? I started to play around with the batter.

After 3 tries, I got it down. It’s a lovely, hearty little loaf that rose well, had a subtle sweetness packed with cinnamon, and in every bite, a raisin or a walnut. I love that baking with almond butter brings a gorgeous brown shine to the top of the loaf. The slices held together beautifully as well, and were moist – quite a feat for gluten-free baking. I decided to spread a little coconut spread on a slice, heat it up a skillet, and toasted it on both sides. Heaven.

[print-link]

Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo)

½ c almond butter

1 T coconut oil

2 medium eggs at room temperature

1 t lemon juice

2 ½ T arrowroot powder

½ t salt

¼ t vanilla extract

¼ t baking soda

1 T plus 1 t cinnamon

¼ c Medjool dates, chopped

¼ c raisins

½ c walnuts, toasted and chopped

Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Smooth out on top with spatula.

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.

Comments

Almond butter and Medjool dates are two of my favorite “go-to” ingredients. They add so much richness to baked goods. This looks amazing and I love your baking box! You had me at “slathered in butter.” =)
    Melissa

Almond butter is an amazing recipe component! With its protein, fat, texture, and taste, it can really be a miracle ingredient. Your loaf of bread proves that, Alta! :-)

3. altawrites says

Melissa – Well, for me, it’s no longer butter, but if you can handle dairy, then slather away! :) I too love almond butter and dates. Match made in heaven.

Shirley – It is a miracle ingredient!

Alisa – I’m kind of a cinnamon fiend! The bonus is that you don’t need as much sweetener if you add a bunch of cinnamon. ;-)

HeathersCreativeConcoctions – I haven’t tried, so this is totally a guess, but I bet egg white would work. I have doubts on the chia/flax/psyllium egg (I’ve heard of a lot of issues other grain-free bakers have had eliminating eggs altogether) but if you try it, let me know how it turns out!

Katrina – It’s pretty awesome – that’s the almond butter for ya!

That sounds fantastic. I have a raisin bread recipe, but so want to get some of the super good stuff in there too, I will def. be trying it with the almond butter and dates, yum!

5. Elise says

This bread is super delicious and we have made it 2 days in a row. It has depleted out cinnamon supply so hope to make again after the next grocery trip. So nice to make up some grain free bread that resembles bread. Thank you.

6. Saundra says

Am I the only one who doesn’t like dates? If not, what do you use as a substitution? I have so many recipes I would like to try that have dates in the ingredient list :((

Saundra,

I have not tried it, but I imagine you might be able to substitute more raisins or prunes. Honestly, the dates are simply there to provide sweetness. They are blended completely into the batter, so you won’t be biting into a date or anything. You wouldn’t take a bite of the bread and just think “this tastes like dates” – if that makes sense! But if you’re up for experimenting, try any dried fruit in place of the dates. :)

• says

i have made this many times with whatever dried fruit i have on hand. it’s great with apricots, cranberries, currants, anything. the dates are doing double duty as a sweetener, so the taste will vary if you use something like raisins or prunes but it should still turn out fine.

7. Susanne says

Hi,

Your recipe looks delicious. Just a few questions about the ingredients (since I live in The Netherlands and am not sure what measure they are): what do you mean with “T” and “t” ? I suspect “c” means cup.
    Thanks for your reply!

Susanne – c = cup, T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon. Sorry if that was confusing! :) Hope you try it and enjoy!

8. Katrina says

I am new to this so, question, almond butter? Where do u get it? Or how do u make it??? Wana try this wonderful sounding bread! Thanks!

9. Sonja says

Hi. I just clicked on PRINT, assuming that since there is the option to print that a printer friendly version of the recipe would print out, only to discover that it printed out 9 pages!!! all the comments and everything were on there, and in colour too! I wasn’t very impressed

Sonja – Hi! I had incorporated a print function in later posts that would just print the recipe, but haven’t gone back into all of my older posts to incorporate it. I’ve just updated this one. Now, if you go to the Print link right above where the recipe starts, that should print ONLY the recipe, and not the whole post. Hope this helps!

10. Lindsey says

I have an obsession with cinnamon bread- so as I am trying to go gluten free this is so exciting to find! One question though – what do you mean when you say small/ mini loaf pan? I just have the traditional ” meatloaf'” pan. Is there a conversion for that? Looking forward to making a loaf of this!

Lindsey – you could put it in that “meatloaf” pan, but I imagine it would bake more quickly and be a flatter loaf, if that makes sense. I’d start watching it 10 minutes earlier than I have posted in the recipe. That’s my best guess!

I too only have a full size loaf pan so I doubled the recipe as I have 9 mouths to feed in the morning. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best! It’s in the oven now and smells A M A Z I N G! I will update as to how long I had to leave it in the oven. And your mini loaf pan is super cute… Where did you get that from?

Jeanine – You’ll have to let me know how well it worked! The mini pan is a disposable paper pan I grabbed at Sur La Table. It’s great for when I want to give a little loaf of bread as a gift.

12. Kathie says

I made this last night and it is awesome! I want to share it with folks – do you think the same cooking time would work if I doubled the recipe and used the same pan? or what the timing would be for muffins or mini-muffins? Again, it is delicious – Thank you!

Kathie and Jeanine – I would think that if you doubled the recipe and used a larger pan that it would take longer to bake (and you might want to lower the temp by 25 degrees). In muffins, I’d guess the timing would be around 18-20 minutes, which is about how long muffins take in general. Mini-muffins I’m not as well-versed with, so I’d start checking at 10.

• says

Alta – It took right at 60 minutes for the toothpick to come out clean, however the bottom was slightly darker than I would have liked. I think if I lowered the bake temp would take even longer, I will try again with same temp. but raise the oven rack higher. Sure made a pretty loaf, thanks for the awesome recipe.

13. Janet says

I have been so excited to try this! I omitted the dates, added more raisins, and used tapioca flour because that’s what I had! Waiting for it to cool a bit to try. Impressive so far. Love the crunchy top and came easily out of the pan!

I have made this 4 times now, I double the batch to make a beautifully risen bread. My anti paleo dad loves it even though it’s “healthy” winning recipe thank you!

1. […] Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a small/mini loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside. In the bowl of a mixer, blend the almond butter, coconut oil, eggs, and lemon juice until well-blended. Add arrowroot powder, salt, vanilla extract, baking soda, cinnamon and date. Blend again until well-blended. Add the raisins and walnuts and stir in. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Smooth out on top with spatula. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing. (from Tasty Eats at Home) […]