Green Pea Hummus

A few weeks ago, I saw a recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Hummus over at The Balanced Platter, shared by Valerie of City|Life|Eats. I loved the idea of this alternative to the traditional chickpea hummus. I can’t tolerate many legumes, and chickpeas are on the very top of the “just can’t do” list. However, I can tolerate fresh peas in small amounts, black-eyed peas being one example. But the light bulb really came on when Valerie replied to a comment I left on her post – she suggested a green pea-based dip.

OMG, I thought. Green peas? In a dip? Suddenly, I was hungry.

It’s funny how the littlest things can excite me. It was like the clouds parted and the sun was sending down warm, bright, clear rays down on me. Okay, maybe it wasn’t that dramatic, but you get my point.

I decided to make myself a little snack. Green pea hummus was the goal. I had to see if this green pea-based dip thing lived up to my expectations.

It did. Oh boy, it did.

Think of the creamy, addictive deliciousness that is hummus, and pair that with the spring-time freshness of green peas and parsley. That’s what this is. The best part? It’s terribly easy to whip up, and makes an excellent little snack to pack in your lunch, or for a savory afternoon pick-me-up.

I served mine with jicama sticks, baby carrots, celery sticks, and red bell pepper sticks. You could also use some of it to dress up some vegan “cheesy” crackers. You could even thin it out a bit and use it as a salad dressing. Or spread it out on some gluten-free bread as a condiment for a sandwich. Oh, the possibilities! But whatever you do, I highly recommend you make some. You’ll be glad you did.

Green Pea Hummus (gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, grain-free)

2 c frozen peas

1/2 c flat-leaf parsley, packed

4 T tahini

Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)

1 t ground cumin

confit garlic cloves plus about a teaspoon of the oil (alternatively, 1 fresh garlic clove and a teaspoon of olive oil)

1/4-1/2 t salt

1/2 t smoked paprika

In a small saucepan, bring about 4 cups of water to a boil. Add peas and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Place peas, parsley, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, garlic and oil, salt, and about 3/4 of the smoked paprika in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Scrape into a serving bowl and sprinkle remaining paprika. Chill and serve.

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays over at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.

Comments

What a great idea! Hummus seems to be a very versatile dish, doesn’t it?! I love green peas and I end up with a ton of them during my CSA season. I’ll be trying this recipe for sure. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Melissa

Yes please Alta! Fabulous pic since I really want to grab some crackers and dive right in! Thank you for using frozen peas. I always have those on hand. Let’s see if the kids like this Shrek dip. Hehe.

That sounds great. I make a pea pesto that is wonderful. I’ll have to mix it up and try your recipe next time, especially since we have lots of fresh peas available.

Now that is a serious bummer on chickpeas. We aren’t big legume eaters here (aside from PB), but if I do have any beans, garbanzos are definitely my favorite! Love this green pea idea though – just pinned it :)

Alisa – Garbanzos aren’t my favorites, but SO many gluten-free foods are made with them, so yeah, kinda a bummer. Good thing there are PEAS!

• Mindy says

I feel the same way about garbanzos and millet flour. I just can’t do millet and I feel like everything has millet flour in it. So I have to adapt all my recipes. As much as I love the idea of humus, the garbanzos just upset my stomach and palate. I’m so happy to have this as an alternative. Definitely trying the pea pesto next…. I love pesto but my husband doesn’t care for basil, so we will have to see what he thinks of peas.

Alta, this sounds absolutely fabulous!! What a brilliant and Springy idea! I think this would actually be delicious with as a dollop on top of some fresh fish that has been baked with a little lemon as well. In fact, I may just make this to go along with the fresh cod I am roasting tonight! Love this one and am off to share it! ;)