Vegan, Gluten-Free “Cheesy” Crackers

When I started a gluten-free diet, I inevitably reduced my crackers/chips/salty snacks intake. Sure, there are options available (more now than ever), and some brands sell pretty tasty gluten-free crackers, but most of the time, they aren’t exactly full of healthy ingredients (and sometimes, I can’t tolerate the ingredients in them), and they’re rarely cheap. For those reasons, I have grown accustomed to not eating too many of these kinds of foods.

But every now and then, a (gluten-free, dairy-free) girl needs a cracker. And not just any cracker. A “cheesy” cracker.

How does one make an enjoyable “cheesy” cracker without the cheese, exactly? By using some clever flavor combinations, of course – a mix of nutritional yeast flakes, red pepper, onion powder, lemon juice, and a touch of cayenne seems to elicit that “cheese” flavor to me in these crackers.

By the way – making your own crackers is way easier than it sounds. This cracker dough doesn’t stick (especially since you roll it between sheets of parchment paper), and it only takes a few minutes. I love making crackers, and these are my favorite so far. They are highly seasoned and perfect as is (I served them alongside some chicken soup), but I imagine they’d be delicious as a vehicle for scooping up mounds of hummus or baba ganoush.

“Cheesy” Crackers (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

1/2 c blanched almond flour

1/2 c almonds

2 T quinoa flour

1/2 c sunflower seeds

2 T hemp seeds

1 T flaxseed meal

2 T nutritional yeast flakes

1/2 t kosher salt

1/4 t onion powder

1/8 t cayenne powder

1 T coconut oil

1 T lemon juice

1 T roasted red pepper (from a jar or freshly roasted – your preference)

1-2 T water

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, add the almond flour, almonds, quinoa flour, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and flaxseed meal. Process until ground and no chunks of nuts remain. Add nutritional yeast flakes, salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, coconut oil, lemon juice, and red pepper and process again until the dough comes together. Add water as needed to make the dough stick – it shouldn’t be wet; it should look kind of dry but wet enough so that it holds together when you form some into a ball.

Place a large sheet of parchment paper on the counter and transfer the cracker dough to the paper. Cut another sheet of parchment paper and place on top of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough between the two sheets of parchment paper, lifting and repositioning the paper as needed, until the dough is about 1/8 inch or less and is as rectangular in shape as you can get it. Peel off the top piece of parchment paper. Using a pizza cutter, cut a grid of 1-inch squares.

Carefully transfer the entire sheet of parchment to your baking sheet, keeping the grid of crackers in tact. Bake for 20 minutes or until crackers are golden brown. Remove from oven and run the pizza cutter along the cut lines again. Allow to cool, then separate and serve.

Makes about 30 crackers.

What are your favorite gluten-free crackers? We’re sharing our favorites over at Udi’s Gluten-Free Living Community – a free, gluten-free resource for anything gluten-free!

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays over at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.

Comments

I too recently discovered how easy and delicious homemade crackers are. We made a batch of rosemary chickpea crackers over the holidays and they also had nutritional yeast which made them a bit “cheesy.” Almond flour will have to be next!

The picture of these had me hooked, but then reading the ingredient list just “wowwed” me! Love all the seeds, nuts and spices. I have finally found a cracker I want to make! Yay!

Also, LOVE, the new blog “look”. Just fabulous!

Suzanne – Thank you! They’re easy enough to make, so it might have hooked you into making your own crackers from now on!

Oh my goodness Alta, the ingredient combo sounds amazing. I love making crackers. I hadn’t made them in the gluten-eating days so I didn’t know how easy they were. These look great and I can’t wait to try them! Oh how I love almonds.

Maggie – Neither did I, so I’m enamored with them now! I love almond flour when making crackers. It makes them so flavorful and with a lovely crumb.

Grubarazzi – You and me both! I miss cheese, so these, while not exact substitutes, satisfy that craving.

4. eva @VegucatingMyKids says

i made these crackers yesterday!…i’ve seen cracker recipes come through on different blogs, but none quite inspired me to try–until your recipe…first let me say, these were sooooo yummy….and need i say what an amazing afterschool, snack for my kids…i usually have sunflower seeds on hand, but forgot to buy a new bag, so i substituted sunflower seeds for brazil nuts….then, i did not have quinoa flour on hand, so i tried to use whole, rinsed quinoa, but the grains did not blend finely in my vitamix with so little volume wise–so note to self, to make some quinoa flour ahead of time and have it on hand for recipes like this…the whole quinoa just added texture, so no biggie there…loved the addition of roasted bell pepper–i want to add more next time and maybe even tried sundried tomatoes…
    thank you! gonna add this recipe into my permanent files : )

Eva – I am so glad you enjoyed them. I bet even imperfectly ground quinoa would work in these. I too have found that you have to grind larger volumes of flour at a time in the dry container in that Vitamix. For small amounts, I just clean out my coffee grinder and use it. Works wonders. Anyway, thank you so much for letting me know how you liked these crackers! I loved them myself.