Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

A few weeks ago, my husband surprised me. Little did I know he’d been tucking away money, but he sat me down, whipped out some cash, and told me that it was for a new VitaMix. I nearly cried, I was so excited. I ordered it right away, and it arrived at my doorstep a few days later.

Of course, the first things I made with it were my morning smoothies. No real recipe there – often I toss a fruit or two, some spinach, some protein powder, and give it a whirl. But now, the smoothies are creamy. No more chewing bits of spinach! This Blueberry Spinach Mint Smoothie is even more of a delight in my new blender. Lately, I’ve been throwing fresh, ripe peaches in the blender and making creamy peachy concoctions. Delish.

But the VitaMix can do so much more than just make smoothies. You can actually “cook” soup in the blender – just blend on high speed for a few minutes, and I promise you, your soup will come out creamy, smooth, and HOT! It’s amazing. But it can also blend batters for baked goods. My first attempt? A chocolate zucchini muffin – without the addition of oils.

I wanted a little treat for breakfasts that wouldn’t be too rich, too sweet, or too indulgent. This muffin definitely delivers. You’d never know there was zucchini in the batter, as the VitaMix takes care of all of those little pieces. The muffin is denser than some, but I found it really enjoyable. Just the right amount of texture for a good, hearty muffin.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

1/4 c brown rice flour (30 grams)

1/4 c potato starch (35 grams)

1/2 c sorghum flour (60 grams)

1 t baking soda

1/2 t baking powder

2 T cocoa powder (12 grams)

1/4 t guar gum

1/4 t salt

1/2 t ground cinnamon

1/2 t allspice

1/4 c egg whites

1 t vanilla extract

2/3 c coconut palm sugar (100 grams)

2 c coarsely chopped zucchini (255 grams)

1/2 c chopped pecans

1/2 c raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with papers.

Combine brown rice flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, guar gum, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl. Whisk until completely blended.

Place egg whites, vanilla, coconut palm sugar, and zucchini into blender and secure lid. Select Variable 1, then turn machine on and quickly increase speed. Blend for 15 seconds or until everything looks uniform. Stop blender and add dry ingredients. Secure lid and continue to blend for 20 seconds or until everything is uniform. If necessary, use tamper to press any ingredients into the blades.

Stop machine and pour mixture into large bowl. Mix in nuts and raisins by hand. Spoon into muffin papers 2/3 of the way full. Bake 16-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 1 dozen.

This post is linked to Eggs, Cream and Honey and Gluten-Free Easily’s March Muffin Madness.

Comments

These look like they would be so good! Zucchini is amazing for adding moisture instead of adding oils and it has such a mild flavor that usually I can’t tell too much of a difference. The only think that I end up adding all the time is icing for the kids, make them a little less healthy but so so good!

So exciting! I don’t have a vitamix myself, but I use my mom’s since she lives upstairs. It’s the best!!! Smoothies are a staple for me and I don’t think that I could do without them – Enjoy!

Saretta – I think you could. You’ll likely have to cut the zucchini into smaller chunks, and you might have to stop and scrape down the sides more often, but I used my regular blender for years for “high-powered blender” recipes and they’ve come out well. Even if the muffins had tiny zucchini chunks, I still think the muffins would be really good. I’ve always enjoyed regular zucchini muffins and bread with grated zucchini, so why not? :)

A VitaMix! Your quality of life just skyrocketed. I love it — congratulations. And these muffins look great. Too bad I’m still having a love affair with raw zucchini, and can’t seem to keep it around long enough to make something out of it before chowing down on the stuff…

I’m sure that’ll change in, oh, another three weeks or so!

Brilliant Alta! And congrats on the fun new toy! So the vitamix doesn’t overmix the batter once you’ve added the flour mix? That always worries me when making muffins.

Congrats on the VitaMix! And that was the exact thing that I found so great about it at first, too–no more bits of greens in my green smoothies!! Yours sounds yummy, as do these muffins. :D

And I keep forgetting to email you to say I got the book–thanks so much! It’s a beautiful looking cookbook–can’t wait to get to some of the recipes! Thanks again, Alta. :)

Congrats on your new toy! He must really love you :) This recipe looks awesome. I haven’t made muffins in my blender but will definitely give it a try. I love zucchini in the baked form!

7. Bikes to work says

We will probably be making these multiple times a week until the zucchini patch slows down. I substituted flax seeds for the egg white and they were great! I love that they are made in the VitaMix, it really speeds things up.

Congrats on the vitamix. I know you’re going to love it! And these muffins look like little gems. I can’t wait to try my hand at them. Perfect to satisfy that little sweet tooth I get, without refined sugar. I’m a big fan of coconut sugar! It does the trick perfectly.

Wonderful website. Plenty of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thanks for your effort!

10. Dana Cetz says

AAAWWWEEE, It sounds like you have a keeper. I hope you have fun with your Vitamix. Thanks for the recipe I am substituting with buckwheat and xanthian.