Raw Apple Cinnamon Chips

A few weeks ago, the appliance that changed our lives forever arrived. That’s right, my dehydrator showed up on my doorstep. Soon after, the dehydrating fest began! I dehydrated sweet potato chips, zucchini chips, made beef jerky (recipe coming soon!), made gRAWnola, and made these apple chips. (I’ve actually made them several times – they just never lasted long enough for pictures!) This is quite possibly my new favorite appliance. It does take up a bit of counter space, but it’s been used SO often I just haven’t put it away. It is a great way to make healthy, whole food snacks, many times raw and still full of nutrients. It’s also so easy, you hardly need a recipe. I don’t have exact measurements – this is merely a guideline. Feel free to experiment. If you haven’t yet purchased a dehydrator, let me tell you – it’s worth your investment. I think that I will break even on my expense in a month or two, as I am not purchasing store-bought snacks (and organic, gluten-free, raw snacks can be super-expensive!)

Raw Cinnamon Apple Chips

3 organic Fuji apples (or your favorite variety), sliced thinly on a mandoline (mine were probably about 1/8 inch thick or so)

1-2 t ground cinnamon

Lay apple slices in a single layer on the racks of your dehydrator. Sprinkle cinnamon over apples. Dehydrate at 110 degrees F for 8-10 hours or until apples are leathery. Store in a sealed container.

Makes about 1 quart of apple chips.

Comments

1. Michelle says

I’ve thought of buying a dehydrator so many times, but do fear it’s a passing fancy. What kind did you buy?

Oh boy, I think this post was the final push I needed to finally invest in an Excalibur, your chips look absolutely delish Alta! I have a cheaper dehydrator but it’s awkward and you have to rotate the trays, etc., so it more of a pain than it’s worth. How loud is the Excalibur?

3. Susan says

Your apple chips look awesome! I have a cheaper dehydrater that I’ve used for years and it does ok but I’m thinking I need a new one. Have you tried dehydrated fresh pineapple? That doesn’t last long either!

Christy, Susan and Michelle – I bought the Excalibur – the 5 tray one.

Heidi – It’s kinda loud. I mean, not horribly so, but we do have to turn up the TV just a tad when we’re using it. LOL It’s super-easy to use though!

Mmm, these look great Alta. I have put dehydrator on my list! Just got a blendtec and I need a new food processor so it might be a while. For now, I’ll just stock pile your recipes!

5. feastonthecheap says

Yum! Snack-girl just shared her recipe for oven-baked apple crisps with us and they’ve become a go-to treat. Thanks for sharing yours – clearly I need a dehyrator

What fun (getting a new kitchen toy). I’ve never dehydrated, but I think it’s a great idea. Buying dehydrated fruit can be so expensive. These apples look tasty with the cinnamon on them.

7. Margaret says

I have had a dehydrator for over 15 years. I bought it as a birthday present to myself. It has temp controls and everyone keeps giving me trays, so they stack to the sky, (not really) but I dehydrate everything I can get my hands on. Love it. Love it.

Ari – let’s see if I can remember, because i didn’t exactly follow a recipe. The zucchini chips I tossed in just a bit of oil, smoked paprika, and salt and laid them out on the sheets. I dehydrated until crisp – 8 hours, maybe? The sweet potato chips I did use a touch of sugar, salt, and chipotle chile powder, and sprinkled it over them. Dehydrated until crisp (I don’t time these things, but about 8 hours probably). Hope that helps! I love playing with my dehydrator!