Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream (Dairy-Free and Vegan)

No joke. I did the unthinkable. Peanut butter and jelly ice cream. I put some of my favorite childfood flavors in another childhood favorite – ice cream. Only I made it friendly for my tummy – it’s dairy-free!

Of course, I can’t take full credit for this idea – Alisa at Go Dairy Free beat me to it. Her version looks delicious as well, but it calls for soymilk. I’m not a fan of soymilk, so I went with my good ol’ dairy-free ice cream standby – coconut milk. Coconut milk makes dairy-free and vegan ice creams rich and decadent. Knowing that I’d be adding a sugary jam to my ice cream, I also opted to use agave nectar instead of Alisa’s brown sugar to keep the glycemic load just a bit lower. (You could keep it totally sugar-free by using a sugar-free jam, or make your own, such as Ali does here or Denise does here.)

The result? Just as awesome as I’d dreamed. One thing I do like about making lower-sugar, dairy-free ice creams is that they tend to be rich. This one was no exception. This is a good thing in my mind. I can eat just a bit, and I’m satisfied. With commercial ice creams, I tend to have a bit of difficulty being happy with the recommended serving size, and my body starts that endless cycle of cravings that can drive a person mad. With these ice creams, there are no cravings, and I feel balanced and comfortable with having these treats in the house. All without sacrificing taste in the least!

It dawned on me just before I clicked “Publish” on this post – this will be my 200th post! Wow. It’s also been nearly 2 years that I’ve had this blog (July 28). So many things have happened, and so much has been shared on here. I’ve grown so much in my cooking expertise during that time, and I’ve gained so many friends and colleagues. Thank you to everyone that reads – you all mean so much!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream (Dairy-Free), adapted from Go Dairy Free

1 15-oz can coconut milk, chilled in the refrigerator for a few hours

1/2 c creamy peanut butter (I used homemade)

slightly less than 1/2 c agave nectar

1 T vanilla extract

Pinch of salt

1/3 c jelly or jam (I used some raspberry preserves I found at the farmers’ market)

In a bowl, combine the coconut milk, peanut butter, agave nectar, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk together until completely combined. Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Pour into a freezable container and stir in the jelly. (I opted to not completely stir it in, so that there would be “streaks” of jam throughout.) Place in freezer until firm.

Enjoy! I would highly suggest making these cookies (with almond butter or peanut butter) and turning this into ice cream sandwiches – something I would have totally done myself, if the cookies hadn’t disappeared so quickly!

Comments

This sounds wonderful! I never really thought about ice cream being dairy free but this would be something I think I would like to try. A very fun recipe!!!

Very nice! I’ve never had coconut milk ice cream (or ice cream without a dairy product – unless it was a sorbet!), but I do love the taste of coconut milk, so this very well might be right up my alley! Also, super creative recipe – peanut butter and jelly ice cream? My kids would go nuts over this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Whoa. This. Is. Amazing. I am so impressed. Ugh! How I wish I had an ice cream maker! Ah well… the moment I get one, this will be the first flavor of ice cream I make. I am gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free (to name a few), and so your blog is now bookmarked on my laptop. :)
    Thank you for sharing your creativity!

As you’ve shown, you can make the most wonderful dairy-free ice cream using coconut milk. The sky’s the limit. Truly. Great job on this ice cream and congrats on your 200th post and 2-year anniversary! I’m so glad I found you through Amy. :-)

Hugs,

Congrats on 200 posts! I recently hit that mark as well. I would have thought dairy free and vegan ice cream would be really difficult, but this looks simple and delicious.

Wow, this ice cream looks awesome! I am definitely one of those who eats a little and then craves more and more. I guess I should try out your method to see if I can curb those cravings a bit! Oh, and congrats on your two years and 200 posts! Great job, girl!

Happy 200th!

Peanut butter and jelly is my ultimate comfort food. Of course I don’t have it anymore since I’ve been avoiding nuts, but nonetheless I want to come over and eat this right now!

Alta!
    I just got an ice cream maker, and this is definitely on my list to try! I love, love the PB&J combo.
    Can’t wait! What a fabulous idea you had. I will be using coconut milk as well, and a no sugar added jam. And almond butter, come to think of it, because I have a ginormous jar and no PB!