Flourless Almond Butter Cookies

In a continuation of this past Daring Cooks’ challenge, I decided to incorporate my homemade nut butters into several sweet recipes. One such recipe seemed only natural – a nut butter cookie! I saw a post for flourless peanut butter cookies over at Gluten Free Easily a while back, and so I decided to consult that recipe as a guideline. However, I had a good deal of almond butter left over, so I wanted to make almond butter cookies instead.

Of course, I could have simply substituted the almond butter for the peanut butter, and followed the rest of the recipe as is. But what fun is that? Instead, I looked for a more complex flavor. I sought to use a touch of almond extract to really bring out the flavor of the almonds, and I went for an even depper flavor in the sweetener. Instead of brown sugar, I used piloncillo. Piloncillo, also referred to as panela, is a common sweetener in Central and South America and is usually sold in a solid block (mine was shaped like a cone), and is essentially nothing more than cane juice that has been boiled down. (Indian jaggery is similar.) The flavor is somewhat similar to brown sugar, but has lovely notes of vanilla and molasses. Because it is in a solid block, I opted to grate the panela using a cheese grater.

The result? These cookies were soft, slightly chewy, and oh-so-delicious. The kids devoured the first batch I made – always a sign of a good cookie! I made another batch a few days later and gave them to my sister and brother-in-law to enjoy (along with a few meals). You see, they became parents to twin girls on July 6 - and as we all know, cookies are the last thing new parents have time to prepare (but are very much needed – at least, in my opinion!).

Flourless Almond Butter Cookies, adapted from Gluten Free Easily

1 c almond butter

1 c grated piloncillo (can substitute brown sugar or coconut sugar)

1 egg

1 t baking soda

1/2 t vanilla extract

1/2 t almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together well. Grease or moisten hands slightly and form dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls on parchment-lined cookie sheet. (Don’t press these down) Bake 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and cookies look “set”. (they won’t look done.) Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Remove carefully and allow to finish cooling on a rack.

Makes 2 – 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Comments

Brilliant Alta! I have never heard of piloncillo before, but it sounds delicious, where do you find it, at specialty stores or online?

Heidi – Piloncillo can be found at a lot of the Latino markets – I found mine at Fiesta in the produce section. You also could find jaggery in an Indian market and use it instead. If no luck, then brown sugar will always work.

These cookies look fabulous, and I’ve learned so much from you here. First, what a revelation that one can make an entirely flour-less cookie. I had no idea! And, second, piloncillo is an ingredient that is totally new to me and sounds so intriguing. Thanks so much for sharing this neat recipe.

I’ve seen a few of the nut butter desserts, and this one sounds like one of the best! My family loves cookies and I think the almond butter would be fantastic to use over peanut butter (though they are still good :D).

These look great! I’m always looking for new gluten-free recipes because my lil brother can’t eat it! Thanks for sharing :) Isn’t the Daring kitchen great? I’m a Daring Baker!

Yummy!! I still have part of a jar of Costco-sized almond butter that needs to be used up. I used some to make a half batch of Elena’s Almond Butter Blondies this week – very tasty.

These sound really interesting! I made flourless almond butter cookies with shredded coconut once, and those were fantastic. There is so much you can do without flour!

I’ve never heard of piloncillo (or panela). Now I must try some in my quest to find healthy, alternative sweeteners. Awesome job on your variation, Alta! That basic recipe is so adaptable, isn’t it? I just love flourless in baking. Yours are such pretty cookies. I like making the PB cookies because they are quick and easy, but making them with nut butter and piloncillo still keeps them just as simple, but much healthier. I’m headed into town today and will stop at the Latino market to see if they have it. :-) Thanks so much for the info, the improved recipe, and the shout out!

I liked these flourless cookies, especially the idea of making them with pilloncillo. I shall try them with jaggery one of these days.

9. tz.missjane says

Wow! These are fantastic! I used Justin’s Almond Butter, Brown Sugar, left out the almond extract and doubled the vanilla, and minced a few ounces of Pacari Raw Chocolate and stirred it in. Great Recipe. Thanks.