Kids in the Kitchen: Fried Ice Cream

I’m guilty. Guilty of indulging our kids in crazy, unhealthy treats. When Brandan conjured up the idea of fried ice cream for his turn in the kitchen, I caved. My justification? We honestly have very little “junk” food in our house. The kids rarely have soft drinks, candy, or chips – and continually are re-introduced to vegetables in the hopes that one day, they’ll actually start eating them. So how much will a bit of fried ice cream hurt? That, and I’d never experienced fried ice cream, so I was curious to try it.

I was surprised at how easy it really was. Sure, there were several steps, but each one could be completed in a manner of minutes, and we could go back to our activities in between, while waiting for ice cream balls to freeze. It also was relatively easy to convert to gluten-free – I only had to grab some gluten-free corn flakes (I used Nature’s Path Honey’d Corn Flakes), check the ingredients in the ice cream, and we were good to go. (Those corn flakes aren’t half-bad, either. I’m not big on boxed cereals, but these reminded me how much I used to like corn flakes.)

Everyone enjoyed the ice cream quite a lot. The kids commented that the corn flake crust reminded them of an ice cream cone. While I likely won’t make this again anytime soon, (I hate frying – we buy all that oil, only to later stare at the fryer full of oil that I’ll just throw away. Yes, I realize I could strain it and re-use it, but I don’t fry often, so it’s just not really practical.) it was a fun experiment, and quite tasty!

Fried Ice Cream, adapted from Emeril Lagasse

1 quart vanilla ice cream (make sure it’s gluten-free; I used Blue Bell Vanilla Bean)

1-2 c crushed gluten-free corn flakes

2 large eggs

2 T sugar

Vegetable oil for frying

Chocolate sauce, optional

Whipped cream, optional

With an ice cream scoop, form 4 large balls of ice cream. Place on a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet (I used a Silpat) and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 2 hours.

Place crushed cornflakes in a shallow bowl. Roll the ice cream balls in cornflakes and freeze again for 30 minutes.

In a bowl, beat the eggs together with the sugar. Dip the coated ice cream balls in the egg mixture, and then roll in the cornflakes, coating completely. Freeze for 1 hour.

Heat the oil in a large pot or fryer to 400 degrees. One at a time, lower the balls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place in a dessert bowl. Top with chocolate sauce and whipped cream and serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Yes, I realize I’ve promised you stories about our vacation – I still plan to really soon! But for now, I’ll give you a sneak peek of a photo:

Monarc Ranch - our cottage was on 300 acres!

Happy Easter from our family!

Comments

You are a rock star mom!! I am 100% with you on indulging in “unhealthy” treats and the justification for them. If you think about it, just by the nature of the gluten-free diet, our kids do not consume a lot of the unhealthy processed and fast foods, that many kids eat… just by default! ;-)

Then, if you give your kiddos homemade treats, you further eliminate more chemicals and preservatives (see where I am going here? I am convincing myself that homemade treats are indeed “good for you!” LOL).

I think it is all about balance. when my boys are at home, we eat a 90% naturally gluten-free diet, grilled meats, roasted and raw veggies, etc. So they are growing up knowing and loving real foods. I do make a few treats during the week, like cookies, etc. because you have to have fun too! Getting our kiddos in the kitchen to cook with us is an even bigger bonus, they learn about math and science; they build self-confidence with their creations and get to spend time with mom too. ;-)

So here’s to GF Fried Ice Cream! Can I come over?

LOL…I love it. I used to order this fried green tea ice cream from a Japanese restaurant I used to go to. Sooooo good!!! I’ve always wondered how they did it. I don’t need to look any further.

Happy Easter!!

This is great. I am not telling, Joe, though because he’ll have me frying ice cream every night. I can just imagine the great taste of corn flakes fried to perfection and the cold, creamy ice cream. Yum!! I remember eating fried ice cream at Chi-Chi’s when I was a kid and oh, how I loved it.

Can’t wait to hear all about your vacation and see the pics!! Happy Easter to you, too!!!

That looks delicious. I remember eating fried ice cream back home. The ice cream was wrapped in bread and frozen. It was deep fried and served immediately….delicious.

I love that little duck! My mom knits ducks that look just like that!

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with indulging your kids with a homemade treat when you eat so healthy most of the time! It looks great!

6. Shirley@gfe says

I’ve never had fried ice cream, but I’d like to try it … especially now that I’ve seen the photo and recipe. :-) Love the photos. Can’t wait to hear about your trip. Happy Easter!

As usual, another tempting dish! However, while I was wiping the drool off my chin, I scrolled down and saw the Monarc Ranch pic. OMWord!! That is a MUST on our travel list!! Great photo, too. Feel like I am there . . . well, almost!

You totally have to splurge on “bad” stuff every now and then, or they’ll want it all the time, right? At least when you do splurge it’s a family activity and you all cook it together!

Thank you for stopping by the blog and commenting. We need more people like yourself who take the time to understand sustainable seafood and what is happening to our oceans. The MBA is an amazing site for information.

I love fried ice cream. I have a Japanese restaurant by me that does an amazing one. Gonna give yours a go!

I must have been about 13 or 14 the first time I had fried ice cream. It was at a Mexican restaurant in RI, and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I can’t remember the last time I had it. Now, you’ve brought it back into my life! I love you!

LOL…You remind me of me, apologizing in advance for a recipe that’s less than 100% healthy. When did we get to be so guilt-laden about special treats? This looks delicious and I’m proud of you for not only making it for the kids but for sharing it with all of us!

I can barely remember fried ice cream because it’s been so long and I only had it a couple of times. Your photo is very tempting. I’m sure it was a fun and tasty experiment.

You know, I have seen this on so many blogs and been intrigued by it. I think its time now to make it, except its summer here and so hot! I think I’ll wait till the rains to make this.

I’m with you on indulging not only our kids, but ourselves too, once in a while LOL This looks fabulous but for some reason, the thought of frying ice cream freaks me out big time!! I always imagine it will burst or there’ll be a meltdown in the fryer Ugghh!

I think it’s time to give it a try!

It is great to start your kids out early introducing them to healthier foods. A little treat like this is certainly fun every now and then! I bet it was totally decadent.

I can tell you are mastering the art of desserts, and I love them, that ice cream is so sexy and so inviting, I can imagine the pleasure you get with just one spoonful, hmmmmm – beautiful!

Wow, I’m impressed. I always wondered how fried ice cream was made. It seems like such an oxymoron, but freezing the prepared balls first was an enlightening tip. What a treat! If it wasn’t snowing and blowing around here, I’d be tempted to try this right now. Might have to wait until spring arrives for real! I also loved your sneak peek photos.

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to make my own fried ice cream. I haven’t had it in probably 10 years back when I was still living in Oregon and could go to my favorite Mexican restaurant to get some, but now I can try to make it at home :D

Just when I thought ice cream couldn’t get any better on it’s own I see it FRIED! Looks so good, and relatively easy too. I beleive there is nothing wrong with indulging your kids when they are making the junk. Takes a lot more effort than opening a bag/box/container of crap! I have the same philosophy at my home. We don’t have too many packaged foods laying around (because I would eat them!) so why not live on the wild side and make something Baaad every one in awhile?

My kids & I were just talking about fried ice cream the other day. Seems easy enough to do, as long as you think of it in advance. I may have to try it, I like the Honey’d cornflakes, my cereal of choice, actually. At least they’re cheaper than some of the other small boxes of cereal. :-/

Don’t feel guilty. Fried ice cream is tasty! It also takes a lot of time and care to make. It sounds like an experience the kids will remember when they get older, as a special treat. Good food takes time and work!