Mexican Chocolate Pecan Pralines

Sometimes, you just gotta have some chocolate. I know I’m not alone in this. I mean, they wouldn’t have created the term “chocoholic” if there weren’t a lot of us around with that intense, gotta-have-some, deep-down desire for chocolate. Good thing there is a chocolate for every type of chocolate craving. Sometimes, I crave a pure, dark chocolate – with its bitter, complex flavor, and just enough smoothness, so that I can enjoy a single piece, close my eyes, and enter pure chocolate bliss. A nice bar of Valrhona or Scharffen Berger will do the trick. But other times, I prefer a sweeter treat – something with a variety of textures and flavors – including nuts, fruits, and milk chocolate, rather than dark. However, a Snickers bar just won’t cut it. That’s where these come in.

Mexican Chocolate Pecan Pralines. First, let me explain to you – pecan pralines are one of my favorite candies. Sweet and buttery, with one of the best nuts known to man, a good pecan praline can cause my eyes to roll back and my knees to go weak. So when I came across a recipe at Homesick Texan that combined Mexican chocolate with a pecan praline? It just about blew my mind. Lisa has a knack for causing me to become giddy with excitement over a lot of her recipes, but these definitely were at the top of the list.

I’ve made them twice so far, following her recipe exactly both times. I can’t think of a thing to change. She discusses adding bacon in them, and while this sounds like it’s worth a try, I am happy with these as written. They’re perfect. The cinnamon and that bit of cayenne add a touch of heat that warms the back of your throat. The orange zest brightens the pralines, keeping them from being too rich or heavy. The texture is still very much like a praline – just slightly soft when you bite into them. While I am fully anticipating making a batch or two of these at Christmas, I don’t suggest waiting until then. These are too good to relegate just to the holidays!

As I haven’t modified Lisa’s recipe at all, rather than writing it out here, I’ll just send you her way. While you’re there, check out her other delicious creations. If you haven’t experienced all of the wonderful culinary creations that are Texas, she can definitely lead you on the right path!

Comments

I’m so happy you like the recipe! And I fully support not waiting until Christmas to make and share these with friends and family.

Oh, those look fabulous! Took a quick peek at the recipe … a gfe one IMHO. :-) Thanks so much for pointing us to this recipe and Lisa, Alta. I’ll definitely make these in the future.

Now … should I confess that I’m eating a chocolatey treat for breakfast. It contains dark chocolate, nuts, and oatmeal … that all makes it a more reasonable indulgence, right? ;-)

I always have Mexican chocolate in my pantry. Many years ago, we visited the area of Mexico around Oaxaca, and found ourselves in a small village that had a grindery. They ground all sorts of things for the people in the village, but one was chocolate, which is ground together with sugar and cinnamon. You could smell the chocolate in the air; it was intoxicating.

Making these tomorrow…..cause I have pecans and mexican chocolate and I wanted to make something from ‘Mexico’ for Foodalogue’s culinary tour (even though it’s past….). They look so so so good!

I like chocolate, but I”m not a huge fan, so I’ve never heard of Mexican chocolate. I’m with you though, I love pecan pralines. I’m sure it’s great with chocolate.

I really need to make these. Pecans are my all time favorite nut too. I love them especially with dates and old white cheddar. Thanks for directing me to this heavenly treat.

7. Kim says

I notice that the recipe isn’t dairy free. Have you used dairy free replacements for the butter and milk without any issues? Would love to be able to enjoy pralines again.

Kim – I made this recipe before I went dairy-free. I haven’t tried it since then; but maybe I need to put that on my list. I have found that vegan butter works as a replacement in most things, including candy, and coconut milk is a great substitute for milk, so I have a feeling those substitutes would work. If you want to get to experimenting before I do, you might try that. Let me know how it goes if you do!