Kids in the Kitchen: Pan-Fried Trout and Baked Potatoes

In case anyone around here is keeping track, Brandan likes seafood. It’s his first choice for many of his meals. (Squid? Swordfish? Octopus? Brandan’s done it all!) So it comes as no surprise that he chose rainbow trout for this week’s dinner. Personally, I love rainbow trout. It’s a flavorful fish, and high in Omega-3s. It’s also fast-cooking, which made dinner tonight much easier. Along with a simple but delicious, baked potato, everyone was fed well; stress-free. The hardest part was watching the fish fry.

Brandan was indeed happy to go back for seconds (so was I) on the trout – it was tender and the skin was nice and crisp. Brittany wasn’t much for the fish (not to discredit it; she hasn’t happily eaten any fish for as long as I can remember), but she was extremely happy with her baked potato.

Because honestly, who wouldn’t be?

Pan-Fried Trout

½ t garlic powder

½ t onion powder

½ t paprika

¼ t chile powder

¼ t black pepper

½ t salt

1 1/2 – 2 lbs rainbow trout fillets

oil for shallow frying

Combine spices; sprinkle lightly over fish fillets. Heat a half-inch of oil in a cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add fish fillets (Brandan had to fry 1 fish at a time) and fry 2 minutes. Flip carefully and fry just until cooked through; about another minute or two. Remove and set on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining fillets.

Serves 4.

Baked Potatoes

(Not really a recipe, and not really anything ground-breaking. But sometimes, a simple baked potato can be heaven.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub cleaned Idaho potatoes with a little olive oil and kosher salt. Skewer each potato (helps them cook more quickly) and place in the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes or up to an hour – until the potato yields gently when pressed. Remove skewer, and cut into the potato. Top with butter, salt, and pepper. (Of course, you can also add sour cream, cheddar, chives, bacon, etc. I opted for simple here.)

Comments

Hi Alta, nice to see you again! I miss our chatting time so much. It’s been a busy week! And just love what you had here. Simply yummy! Btw, does Brandan have to watch over the trout in this way???? hehe…
    Have a great weekend!
    Cheers, Kristy

so nicely done – looks like it was cooked perfectly and the seasonings are great too … you gotta be proud to have your kids in the kitchen, shame more families don’t do it

As a massive fan of seafood, it makes me very happy to know there’s at least one young seafood junkie out there, growing up with such an appreciation of ocean delights! Cooking seafood well can be a challenge for many seasoned cooks so I’m sure by the time he’s all grown up he’ll be a pro. Great meal!

5 Star Foodie and Tasty Trix – Thank you! I love the combination of those seasonings, and yeah, it’s kinda Cajun-y!

Conor – I just hope we can shell out the money in order to appreciate all of the “ocean delights”! Feeding teenagers pricy fish (we’re nowhere near the ocean, so it costs more) when they are bottomless pits can be tough! But I love his adventure, so we’ll do what we can!

kristy – Brandan is one to hope for a tasty bite throughout the cooking process – he was a hungry boy when we started! LOL he doesn’t always watch the trout like that (besides, he might get splattered in the eye!) but he was hamming it up for the camera a bit.

Divina, Emily, Miriam, Shirley, Sook, Olive, Debbie, Drick, Simply Life, Angie, and Jenn – Thank you so much for all of the kind words!

I love your kids in the kitchen posts, and applaud all the encouragement you offer them.
    My kids made your Shepperd’s Pie recently~ I will post it one of these days (with a shout out to you for the inspiration).
    ~We all loved it, and enjoyed cooking together in the kitchen!

5. Vegetable Matter says

Very ambitious project. Well done! Heard snow may be in the forecast tomorrow down here — you’d better bundle up! Robin

Debi – So glad you liked that Shepherd’s Pie! Thank you so much!

Vegetable Matter – no snow for us, it seems. Apparently it went further south. Wondering if Houston got any!

Cookin’ Canuck and pegasuslegend – Thank you!

Alta, this looks amazing. You and your site have become my “go to” for gluten free inspiration and I am recommending you to so many people. Fabulous info, recipes, writing….everything! All the best, Amanda