Pumpkin Molasses Bread

A few weeks ago, I won an awesome book, courtesy of Nosh With Me. This book arrived Christmas Eve, meaning I had a wonderful surprise Christmas present. That book was Flying Apron’s Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book. What a sweet Christmas present it was! This book is full of delectable recipes, most made with natural sweeteners, and all gluten-free. I was in heaven. Except that I couldn’t decide what to make first!

After the holidays were over, I decided it was time for me to bake. Yes, I realize how much of a backwards comment that is. My goal for baking right now, however, is to bake healthier. I want to have my cake and eat it too – without a lot of sugar or guilt. I decided upon the Pumpkin Glory Loaf recipe. But of course, I had to modify it, if ever so slightly. (Honestly, this time around, I would have stuck to the original recipe, except I didn’t have enough brown rice flour, and I didn’t wish to use all of my expensive maple syrup for this bread.) I opted to use some leftover kabocha squash puree I had in the freezer, which worked beautifully. Below is my take on the original recipe.

If you baked this up for friends and family, I promise, they would never know it was gluten-free. It’s moist, tender, and not-too-sweet. It makes the perfect breakfast treat with a cup of coffee, or afternoon snack with some herbal tea. Though it’s January, and most people have moved on from pumpkin recipes, I haven’t. But no worries, this isn’t overly “pumpkin-y”, in fact, the forward flavors are a mix of molasses, cinnamon, and clove – perfect for any winter day, in my opinion.

I can’t wait to try more of the Flying Apron’s recipes. But what to try next? Scones, biscuits, bread? So many choices!

Pumpkin Molasses Bread, adapted from Flying Apron’s Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book

1 c buckwheat flour

1 c brown rice flour

1 c white rice flour

1 3/4 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

1 t ground cinnamon

3/4 t ground cloves

1 c canola oil

1 c molasses (I used blackstrap)

3/4 c agave nectar

1 3/4 c pumpkin or squash puree (you could also use sweet potato)

1 t vanilla extract

1/2 c chopped toasted walnuts

1/2 c raisins

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in a large bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the oil, molasses, agave nectar, pumpkin, and vanilla, and beat until well mixed, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture until well mixed, about 2-3 more minutes. Fold in the walnuts and raisins.

Line the bottom of two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inch loaf pans or one 10-inch cake pan with parchment paper, or grease and dust with rice flour. Pour in the batter.

Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for about 1 hour before serving.

Comments

Sounds and looks delicious. Wish I could find all these ingredients here, I would definitely try it as I dont like overly sweet cakes and love pumpkin.

I am in the mood to bake as well, I know baking season was in december but I just love baking!

The pumpkin molasses bread looks wonderful, it makes the perfect to go breakfast

Wow! This recipe would be the perfect addition to my daughter’s very boring school snack! And for me as well! Super healthy and no doubt, moist and delicious. Thanks as always for sharing!

This looks amazing. I don’t even need mine to be gluten-free… but I’m totally wild about the idea of the molasses in here. YUM.

Happy 2010!

I make a pumpkin bread and I make a molasses bread, but ne’er the twain have met to date. I love the dark, dense look of this recipe, Alta. I never tire of pumpkin. It’s just so delicious. I’ve never heard of that cookbook. It does sound great. I look forward to seeing what else you make. :-)

I’m wondering what the original recipe was, actually. My mom works with a woman who also owns a sugar maple farm so I have two huge jugs of maple syrup to use up.

Ruth – You may be able to order some ingredients online. I have found a lot even through Amazon.com. Or you can always substitute flours for regular flours, if you don’t need to be gluten-free!

Lauren – I like to bake even with just healthy parts, even if the result isn’t entirely healthy. :) Then I can pretend they’re kinda sorta healthy!

Megan – I would have to contact the author before I reprinted the recipe verbatim – I’d feel best about that. Since I can’t link to it (since it’s not posted). If you wanted to use maple syrup, however, you can simply substitute it 1:1 in this recipe. And if you’re still having trouble using up that syrup, send some my way! LOL

Leftover Queen, Shelly Huang, Michelle, Conor, Shirley, Katrina, lo, Emily, Debi, Patty, Katrina (gluten free gidget), Simply Life, Tasty Trix, Natasha, Angie, Jessie, CCR – Thank you!

WOW this looks really good .

I saw your question on Simplylife’s blog about coconut oil on acne prone skin. Personally I only use oil free noncomedogenic facial products… I haven’t had any problems with breaking out with Coconut oil but I can’t really say that it definitely won’t cause acne.. I just don’t know since I haven’t had any issues with it

That looks SO amazingly good!! I keep pumpkin and molasses in my kitchen year round! I can’t wait to try this! And now I want to scout out that cookbook! :-)

9. Joy says

I don’t need it to be gluten-free……….a previous comment indicates that I might be able to substitute wheat flour for the other flours. Is this true, do you know if this will work? The pumpkin molasses bread looks tasty, and I love the description of the flavors. :)

Joy – I honestly have no idea. I don’t bake with wheat flour so I’m not sure if it will work. It may/may not convert exactly cup to cup, but I’ve converted from wheat flour recipes to using gluten-free flours with pretty good results, so I imagine trying and playing around with it a bit, you could get a lovely bread. Best of luck!