Kids in the Kitchen: Spaghetti Carbonara (Gluten-Free, of course!)

Matt loves pasta. Spaghetti, lasagna, and macaroni and cheese? These three dishes alone could make this boy happy for a long, long time. Italy was his country of choice this time around, which, naturally, pleased Matt. We discussed various Italian dishes, both pasta and non-pasta, but the mention of bacon and spaghetti – two of his favorite things in the world – made spaghetti carbonara the choice for dinner tonight.

Truth be told, spaghetti carbonara is not among my favorite Italian dishes. It’s a bit on the rich and heavy side, in my opinion. As this was the case, I have not made spaghetti carbonara prior to this evening. Nevertheless, I sought out a recipe that was sure to please. Emeril saved the day! (Every Emeril Lagasse recipe I have followed has turned out beautifully!) I followed the original recipe pretty closely – it’s relatively straightforward and simple – and it was pretty darn tasty, if I do say so.

Not one piece of shell was dropped in the eggs!

Matt enjoyed it a great deal. Of course, eggs, bacon, cheese, and spaghetti – what’s not to like?

Gluten-Free Spaghetti Carbonara, adapted from Emeril Lagasse

1/2 lb bacon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces

1 T chopped garlic

Freshly ground black pepper

1 lb gluten-free spaghetti, cooked until al dente (I used Tinkyada Pasta Joy Brown Rice Spaghetti)

4 large eggs, beaten

Salt to taste

1 c freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

1 T chopped fresh parsley leaves

In a large saute pan over medium heat, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon or spatula and allow to drain on paper towels. Remove all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, and season with pepper. Add back the bacon and pasta and saute for 1 minute. Season the eggs with salt. Remove the pan from heat and add eggs, stirring quickly, until eggs thicken but do not scramble. Add the cheese and taste; adjust seasoning as needed with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley. Serves 4 generously.

Comments

Spaghetti carbonara will always be a special dish for me because it was the first meal that I made for myself after discovering my gluten issues (and I didn’t miss the wheat at all). I agree that it can be heavy, and last time I tried to even that out by adding broccoli. I really liked the combination, and I think I’ll continue making it that way.

I tasted gluten free pasta recently, one of my clients had a gluten free diet and the pasta tasted really good. I was surprised of the nice flavor. They were a little more sticky and chewy than regular pasta, but great nonetheless.

great pasta picture!
    spaghetti carbonara is always one of our special meals just because, as u mentioned above, it’s rich and heavy! but u’ve just reminded how simple and delicious it is, time to prepare for a special dinner.

4. Shirley@gfe says

I’ve only made spaghetti carbonara a few times. I think we added peas the last time. Like Katie, I wanted to balance the other ingredients. Of course, peas are carbs, too, but they were green. :-) I love your “kids cook” posts! This recipe looks good, Alta–thanks. :-)

Yes, this is a heavy dish, but it’s one that I love. I have noticed that I just don’t eat as big a serving as when there’s a lighter sauce. I’ve never done it with parsley – good idea! Thanks for the recipe.

Hi TEAH…Congrats on being Top9 today …this is delicious! I love spaghetti carbonara and thanks for sharing the recipe. A winner no doubt! :)

I’m not going to lie – carbonara is actually one of my favorite dishes EVER but I try to avoid it because pasta and my weight are not friends! This dish looks delicious, though! Gorgeous photos!

Tasty Trix – I wonder if you could sub some seared, cubed tofu. And to boost the smoky flavor, add some smoked paprika? It won’t be the same dish, but maybe it’ll have the same notes to it?

Shirley@gfe and Katie – I would have loved adding some veggies into this, personally! (Not sure the kids would have felt the same, but we’re working on that!)

Citronetvanille – The Tinkyada brown rice pasta is the best I’ve tried. It doesn’t turn sticky or mushy, in fact, it’s very similar to regular pasta. It does feel heavier when eating it (I get full faster), but I don’t see that as a bad thing! Then I don’t overeat! LOL

Natasha, Teanna, Elin, Gina, Olive, lululu, Simply Life, Cookin’ Canuck, pegasuslegend, maryMoh, Angie, Jenn, Shirley, and s. stockwell – Thank you very much!