Kids in the Kitchen: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes

They were free this time around. Free to choose which meal of the day to prepare. Free to choose what they wished to make.

So of course, Brittany immediately chose something with an insane amount of chocolate. As any 11-year-old girl would, I suppose!

She wanted to make chocolate pancakes. But not just that. She wanted chocolate chips in the pancakes, and to sandwich the pancakes with a layer of peanut butter. And top with more chocolate chips. I knew I had to find a way to make this breakfast just a touch healthier than it would seem. But I had to be sneaky. These were supposed to be fun pancakes, after all!

So I turned to my two friends – coconut flour and agave nectar. I love using coconut flour in baked goods – it’s gluten-free, lower in carbohydrates, and high in fiber. It also seems to create fluffier, lighter baked goods than some other gluten-free flours – always a good thing when we’re talking pancakes. Agave nectar has less of an impact to blood sugar levels than sugar - an added bonus for you when you’re serving a sweet treat to kids – no crazy, out-of-control, hyped-up-on-sugar children! These weren’t health food by any means, but I did feel a bit better knowing I was making a few tweaks for the better.

These pancakes were pretty tasty – just the right amount of chocolate, and they were very filling. And for once, all of the kids enjoyed the meal! (If I haven’t told you before, I live in a house with some picky eaters.) I say that means these are definitely a keeper.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes

5 eggs, separated

5 T butter, melted

1/3 c milk

2 T agave nectar

1/2 t salt

1 t vanilla extract

1/3 c coconut flour

1 T unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 t baking powder

1/4 c chocolate chips, plus more for topping pancakes

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Separately, beat egg yolks until foamy. Fold together, along with melted butter, milk, agave nectar, salt, and vanilla. Whisk in coconut flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Stir in chocolate chips.

Heat a nonstick pan to medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Allow to cook for 3 minutes or so and carefully flip. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes more or until cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve with toppings such as peanut butter, maple syrup, and whipped cream, and top with additional chocolate chips. Makes about 9 pancakes.

Comments

Agave nectar and coconut flour sound so exotic, but these look like good old American pancakes. Great job adapting a traditional recipe to make it gluten-free. And who doesn’t love dessert for breakfast?

I never liked chocolate when I was young, but now I’m starting to appreciate it more…I guess I’m turning more into a kid! Tee hee. It looks DECADENTLY delicious, by the way! Yay for Brittany’s super fantastic request! :-)

wow..chocolate pancakes..my kids would be so thrilled if I make these for them, I’ll get lots of hugs and kisses for sure :)

Merry Christmas to you, Alta and your wonderful family!!! :D

Katie – I haven’t used more than one brand…yet. I use Bob’s Red Mill. If someone out there has a preference, I’d be happy to hear it!

Cheah – coconut flour is basically coconut meat that’s been dehydrated and ground into flour (this is my non-techie description). It does smell like coconut, but it doesn’t impart the flavor into baked goods.

Shirley – I just started teaching them about a year ago – so the youngest was 10. If I had my chance to do it over, I would have started even earlier, truthfully! Right now I’m just getting them started and used to reading the recipes and taking more control of the entire process. If they end up leaving the house knowing how to do more than make macaroni and cheese from a box, I figure we’re doing pretty good!

Olive, gfe, Conor, Natasha, Chelsey, burpexcuzme, Jessie, SimplyLife, Tasty Trix, Emily, Vegetable Matter, Chaya, Jenn, alison, MaryMoh, Lauren, Cookin’ Canuck, and pegasuslegend – Thank you! I think some of us (including me) never grow up – dessert for breakfast is always fun!

I love the use of coconut flour in your pancakes. It’s a different animal and takes getting used to – I’m still learning about it. It doesn’t take much, does it? I can make an 8 inch cake with 1/4 cup! My dad used to make pancakes for us in the shape of our initials – a favorite memory of mine. It’s neat that you’re making memories with your kids, too.

For a year they seem to have gotten quite good with knife skills! Am sure they’ll do much more than just follow recipes, when you cook so well! My son is 4 have already started making him peel shallots and garlic, let’s see how it goes! Thank you!

OH MY GOSH! Please don’t do this to me right now. I’ve been on a sweet roll (no pun intended) for 2 weeks now and need to focus on stuff like lettuce and celery, not incredibly yummy looking chocolate chip pancakes. Of course, I’d have to have mine swimming in pure maple syrup! Seriously, these look wonderful. Might have to put off the lettuce smoothie for one more day!

Melissa

Your 11 year old sounds like my kind of kid! Good for her! And look at the wonderful creation you all made! Question: where can I get coconut flour? I have a friend who’s child is allergic to gluten and I would love to make this for her son. Thanks very much!

Patty and Paulahtx – I found Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour at Sprout’s – but I’ve also seen it at Whole Foods. I’m sure it’s cheaper to order in bulk, but if you’re looking for it just to do occasional baking, those places will work just fine!

Melissa @ Glutenfreeforgood – See, I’m trying to incorporate the green smoothies in the diet SO that there’s room for these things! :) Don’t they like, cancel each other out or something? (kidding, only kidding…)

ValleyWriter, Karine, Sherley, The Chocolate Priestess, Amy, Cajun Chef Ryan, wasabi prime, and meatlessmama – Thank you all so much!

See now, this is the sort of pancakes I could get in to! I’m not a huge fan of them generally, but chocolate can pretty much convert me to any food. :)

These look wonderful! I’m gathering recipes for some guests that will be staying with us that are gluten free – this would be perfect for a great treat.

Whoa! This is definitely something my whole family would be interested in having on New Years morning… We are all chocoholics! :) Looks so great!

I made these for my boys for our lunch today. Wow, I am the best mom ever…thanks to you! ;) We can not use dairy and I tried substituting coconut oil in place of butter and coconut milk for the milk. They did not cook very well. Burned on the outside before the middle was done. Sort of exploded into the pan when I turned them. I wonder if oil would be better? Anyone else tried these dairy-free? Thanks for sharing this recipe. My boys LOVED them despite my cooking challenge and said these are the best pancakes ever!

Debbie – glad you are still the best mom ever! I haven’t tried these dairy-free, since my dairy-free diet has been only in the past year. But I bet the cutting back on the coconut oil just a tad (like 4 T to the 5 T of butter) or using vegan buttery sticks instead of butter would work. Also using almond milk or another thinner milk might make a difference. You know what? I might see if I can whip up a batch this weekend. Not promising anything, but I’ll definitely let you know if I do!