Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup and Gluten-Free Chive Biscuits

pumpkin soupA few weeks back, I picked up this lovely pumpkin from Good Earth Organic Farm’s booth at the farmer’s market. I was told it was called a Cinderella Pumpkin. It was a lovely gourd, and it graced my kitchen for a while, bringing autumn charm into the house. However, it was time to do something more with my pumpkin. Since it was not a pie pumpkin, I thought a pumpkin soup would be lovely, especially if it were graced with coconut milk (one of my favorite ingredients).

pumpkin

I started to browse around for ideas on how to elevate my pumpkin and coconut milk soup, and came across Heidi’s simple recipe at 101 Cookbooks. I took cues from her recipe, and made this soup my own, adding a few spices and loosely measuring. What resulted was a lovely creamy, warming, flavorful soup – filling enough to be a main course (we did just that!), and wonderful when it’s dreary and/or cold outside. What’s even better? While this is not a super-fast recipe (although you could make it so, with canned pumpkin), it’s really easy, there is not a lot of time actively cooking, and it’s really hard to mess up. It also reheats beautifully for lunch the next day.

chive biscuits

And last week, I spotted a wonderful biscuit recipe over at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free. I thought these biscuits would be a wonderful accompaniment to soup, so I threw together a batch. I changed up the recipe some, only because I wanted to use what gluten-free flours I had on hand, and I wanted to use only chives in the biscuits. But wow – just, wow! Amy sure does know her way around a biscuit! These were simply the best biscuits that ever have graced my kitchen, gluten-free or otherwise. I ate well more than my fair share of them. They will definitely be making another appearance soon!

And lastly, before I share the recipes, I am excited to share with you that I have received 2 Blog Awards, given to me by two wonderful fellow food bloggers! Simply Life awarded me the One Lovely Blog Award, and Diana at Spain in Iowa gave me a Tasty Award! What can I say about these two wonderful bloggers? Thank you both so much! If you haven’t checked out these two blogs, take a moment and do so! Simply Life has a wonderful collection of tasty recipes, ranging from the fancy smoked salmon and pear on baquettes, to a lot of wondeful, family-friendly comfort food such as sweet potato risotto. Spain in Iowa has a wonderful collection of Spanish and Latin recipes, such as this pimientos asados recipe, to recipes using local ingredients, such as methods for preserving peaches. (She’s been preserving a lot of this summer’s bounty, check it out!) Thank you both for sharing these awards with me.

lovelyblog

Tasty-2For the One Lovely Blog Award, I am supposed to tell you all seven things you don’t already know about me, and pass this award along to ten other bloggers. So, here goes:

1. I have two dogs, Rocky and Jack. They are both Chihuahua mixes, and look like they could be brothers. However, they aren’t – Rocky is mixed with Manchester terrier (we think) and we adopted him in 2003. Jack is mixed with who-knows-what (we’ve considered a Corgi), and we adopted him in 2007. We adopted both of them at Operation Kindness, North Texas’ oldest and largest no-kill animal shelter. If you are local, and considering adopting a dog or cat, check them out. They’re located in Carrollton. (Not to get on a soapbox, but I’m a big proponent of adopting rescue animals. I personally choose to rescue an animal that might otherwise be euthanized, and give them a second chance at life, and do my part to keep the over-population of unwanted pets down. That’s all, I won’t get into this topic here!) Rocky and Jack are wonderful friends, and are always happy when I’m in the kitchen, waiting for a treat! They’re especially fond of carrots.

Rocky (on the left), and Jack

Rocky (on the left), and Jack

2. I play indoor soccer. I’m by no means an accomplished player (I started playing at the age of 22), but it’s great fun, and I am always learning. I love my teammates – everyone encourages one another, and it’s a great way to relax and stay in shape.

3. I cannot stand chocolate-covered donuts. (this precedes going gluten-free) I am generally not a picky eater by any means, but the thought of eating a chocolate-covered donut, or an eclair, makes me gag.

4. On the weekdays, I wake up at 5am. This allows me to get a little workout in before I get ready for the day, and arrive to work by 7am. (Unfortunately, keeping this schedule makes it difficult for me to sleep in on the weekends past about 7-8am, even if I’m out way too late the night before with the soccer team!)

5. I’m not much for “chick flick” movies. I would rather pass most of them by than waste money to see them. But give me a sports movie – where the main character (or characters) is the underdog or otherwise has to overcome some big hurdle, and in the end, that character wins the game (but of course, learns a lot about himself along the way) – I’m so there. (Think Hoosiers, Rudy, Chariots of Fire, Remember the Titans, even Miracle on Ice.)

6. I have little patience for most of the shows on the Food Network. It seems that over the years, they’ve changed their tune, and most of their shows are just not my style. Of course, it’s somewhat hypocritical for me to say that many aren’t about the food or cooking…because I watch Hell’s Kitchen and Top Chef, and sometimes, those shows are not about the food either! (I do like Alton Brown though.)

7. I like Velveeta. I know, I know, it’s practically not even real food. It’s artificially dyed and flavored. It’s horrible for you. I can only imagine that it likely does something awful to your insides, like if you eat too much, when you die, it will still be there, thousands of years later…but it seems that especially in Texas, you just can’t make queso without it. Velveeta+Rotel=YUM! Good thing I only eat it like once or twice a year.

And, to share this award, I’ll pass it along to ten bloggers that I truly admire and appreciate!

1. Amy at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free – she is always SO willing to give me feedback on my posts, is available to answer questions, and besides, she has WONDERFUL recipes on her blog!

2. Amanda at Amanda’s Cookin’ – she really goes above and beyond to enhance the blogger community. She’s created a Yahoo Group for food bloggers, which has been an endless source of valuable information! She posts so many gorgeous baked goods and desserts as well!

3. The folks at Food o’ del Mundo – Wonderful dishes, and always so inspiring! Not to mention, recently they went out of their way to help me out on posting to Foodbuzz, so I could be sure I get optimum results. What a friend!

4. Diane at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang – Awesome, inexpensive, gluten-free, healthy living meals! She continually comes up with great, simple ideas to feed a family, even with dietary restrictions.

5. Katie at Eat This. – Katie and I both went gluten-free (for similar reasons) at about the same time, so together we’ve come to understand what lovely and amazing gluten-free food options are available to us. She is definitely a wonderful resource for alternative grains, and sings the praises of millet, teff, and quinoa! She always has healthy and delicious recipes available on her blog.

6. Paula at Bell’alimento – What a lovely blog! She has delicious recipes, and she’s always available and willing to help someone out, even if it means “Stumbling” their blog that day!

7. Cindy at Jacob’s Reward – Cindy is an awesome blogger, even though it’s not a “food” blog. She diligently blogs nearly every day about the goings on at the Jacob’s Reward farm, is always friendly and available to help, and she’s more dedicated to her CSA and that farm than anyone I’ve ever seen! That, and her chickens give our family the BEST eggs…I’ve learned so much from her!

8. Jenn at Bread + Butter – Jenn’s recipes ALWAYS look drool-worthy. A few days ago, she posted about grilled cheese, which makes me nostalgic! She’s also a huge supporter of Tasty Eats At Home.

9. Marilyn at Just Making Noise – Marilyn’s recipes look so good, and they’re always healthy, with natural ingredients. She supports local produce and farmers as much as she can, which is pretty awesome, in my book!

10. Natalie at Natalie’s Killer Cuisine – Natalie makes decadent dishes, most of which cause me to gain weight just thinking about them! But seriously, her recipes are delicious, and she shows tremendous talent.

Thank you again to Simply Life and Spain in Iowa, I’m honored!

And now, to the recipes!

hawaiian and soup and biscuits 041

Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup, adapted from 101 Cookbooks:

1 large pumpkin, 8-10 lbs, cut in half and seeds removed (or you could use two large cans of pumpkin, or a butternut squash or two)

salt and pepper

2 T butter, melted

1 T olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 t grated fresh ginger

1/2 t ground coriander

2 t Thai red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen, which is gluten-free, and available at a lot of standard grocery stores)

1 14-oz can coconut milk

2 c vegetable broth

minced chives for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly season pumpkin halves with salt and pepper, and brush with butter. (can use olive oil if you prefer) Place skin-side down on a baking sheet, and allow to roast until tender, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove and allow to cool.

In a large stock pot, bring olive oil to medium heat and add garlic, ginger, curry paste, and coriander. Allow to cook for a minute or two, stirring, just until it becomes fragrant. Add pumpkin and coconut milk and stir, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, remove from heat, and puree. (I used a hand blender, but if you don’t have one, you can blend in batches with your blender or food processor.) Place back on heat and stir in broth, a little at a time, until the soup is at the desired consistency. Taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary. Keep at a simmer for 5 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Garnish with minced chives. Serves 5-6.

Gluten-Free Chive Biscuits, adapted from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

2 c gluten-free flour blend (your favorite, or view the blend I adapted from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free below)

1 T baking powder

1 t kosher salt

1/4 lb (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

1 c 2 % milk

1/4 c chopped fresh chives

1 egg mixed with 1 T water, for egg wash

Preheat oven to 4oo degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Sift together flour blend and baking powder. Stir in salt to mix. Add cold butter, and either using a stand mixer on low, or even using a spoon or your hands, mix until the butter is the size of peas. Add milk and beat until just mixed together. Add chives and mix until just combined.

Drop dough in large spoonfuls onto parchment paper. Brush tops with egg wash, and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt, if desired. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until browned and puffy. Makes 8 biscuits.

Gluten-free Flour Blend

1 c brown rice flour

1 c sorghum flour

2/3 c potato starch

1/3 c arrowroot starch/flour

1 t xanthan gum

Mix together well and store in an airtight container.

Comments

This looks amazing. I just love the Thai flavors that perks up not only the pumpkin but also the mood that you’re at when the weather is chilly. Thanks for the gluten-free biscuits too. It’s yummy.

This looks fantastic – thanks to you I have so many dishes to make when my gluten free friend comes over for dinner! Also – good for you with your dogs. I have all rescue pets and support rescue 100%. Yay you!

I’m loving the chive biscuits and Thai curry pumpkin soup I can just feel it warming me up already!

I am a huge advocate of adopting animals from a rescue groups or no kill shelters. I adopted one of my cats last year from a rescue group and he’s one of the sweetest and funniest cats ever!

4. jenn says

Thanks for passing the awards along to me!!! It’s nice to know you a little better. I play soccor, too. I didn’t start till about around the same age as you. I enjoy it quite a bit.

As for that soup…If you’ve got anymore I’ll take a bowl with a couple of those biscuits. It’s a little chilly these days and soups are definitely on the menu.

Thanks, Alta! I get excited every time I discover one of your posts, and it’s been fun to have a companion for the gluten-free transition.

Rocky and Jack are adorable!! I miss having dogs around and can’t wait to get one once I have a yard (and I will definitely rescue one). I thought that “my” dog (she lives with my parents) was the only carrot-lover, but I’m glad to know that she’s not alone.

This soup looks wonderful, too! I haven’t bought a pumpkin yet this year, but it’s about time that I do.

I love pumpkin soup. It’s a very healthy food. Love it Thai way. I love spices and coconut which brings out great flavour to the soup. The non-gluten biscuits would go great with the soup. Lovely soup for a cold day.

Alta – Thank you. I am really honored. I have always admired your work and enjoy each and every visit. Your recipes and photos add so much to the food blogging world.

I told Joe you like my biscuit recipe – he love it too. I have been thinking about making it a little healthier so I like the flours you used. I might have to borrow yours.

Hi Alta, thanks for the mention – you’re my cooking hero! You know I’m not a great cook, but you’ve got me going back to the kitchen to try some new things. And Ted is checking your blog regularly now for gluten-free ideas. He’s made a BUNCH of the black bean brownies!

Looking forward to lots of collaborative projects in the future. And the chickens say hi!

Katrina, Nate, MaryMoh, ValleyWriter, Errin, Miriam, Lisaiscooking, Cookin’ Canuck, TastyTrix – Thank you all so much!

Cindy – I’m so glad I can inspire/assist! You continually inspire me to get back to basics and get in touch with nature.

Amy – I’m so excited to have met you here in cyberspace, even though we’re not all that far apart from one another in real life! You have helped me to learn and take leaps into gluten-free baking that I might have otherwise tip-toed into. And feel free to borrow my version! I just kind of substituted and hoped for the best, I was so glad it turned out!

Katie – Carrots are one of those things that are actually GOOD for dogs to eat, it’s like a natural teeth cleaner and they need a bit of veggies once in a while!

Jenn – wow, we’re like twins! (okay maybe not quite…) I love soccer. Unlike running, I push myself so much harder and I love the continual challenge. It’s fun!

Jessie – I love adopting. Glad your kitty is so sweet. I personally think that adopted animals sometimes know they’ve been given a second chance, and are just grateful. Maybe I’m projecting, but I come to this assumption because my puppies are so sweet, and even if I left the doors open, they’d never run off…they’re obviously happy to live at our house.

Cajun Chef Ryan – aww, Jose and Paco! Cute. I would have never thought of myself as a “chihuahua person”, but my dogs have changed that.

Divina – I love Thai flavors. I could eat Thai-inspired dishes just about every day.

Angelia and Reeni – Thank you!

Diana – Indoor is great – no weather to deal with!

Brie – Thank you. Ina Garten is another great one, although I have only caught her show like, once.

Alta, this was so much fun to read! I especially like the Velveeta, lol!! If I could only give up my happymeals, ha! I used to play soccer in high school and have always wanted to join an indoor team, you’ve just encouraged me to do so!! Lovely soup by the way! Besitos!!!

I love the spicy twist on the pumpkin soup! The biscuits are a delicious match for it. It was good getting to know you better – congrats on your awards!

This would be a fun soup to serve as shooters with a Thai menu—really like the pumpkin and coconut milk.
    p.s.–your dogs are adorable—we have a rescue labradoodle “Barkley”; he’s a sweetie.

Thank you so much for the award and the kind words that accompanied it. I really appreciate it. I’ll pass it on too.

Your soup and biscuits look amazing. I’m going to give those biscuits a try this weekend. I’m not much of a baker but your biscuits looks so good I just want to grab one. I have to admit I’ve never eaten pumpkin soup. There are some vegetables I’m still working my way around and learning to eat them in a different way. You know, besides pumpkin pie. By the way that pumpkin is really pretty. This weekend it’s time to find some pumpkins to cook up!

This soup looks amazing, I bet it would be perfect for a rainy day like today. I can’t wait to make my first pumpkin soup of the season, and it may have to be this recipe.

And thanks for passing along the award! I appreciate it so much! And my past few recipes have been healthy and hopefully won’t make you gain weight by looking at them! hehe

Just tried your soup tonight and it was very good. I love the red chili paste and their mix of different flavors and of course the richness of coconut milk is just superb. I will definitely make this again. They’re easy to make too. :)

The soup and biscuits look great! Perfect for fall weather. Love the dogs, and learning more about you. I’m a chick flick gal, but I can also really go for something like Gladiator.

We just love Rocky & Jack! We wish they could meet our Gracie & Bianca? Soup looks great too. We are having a big rain (celebrate!) the soup will be perfect…best from Montecito, CA

I loved reading this post! Coincidentally, I had some pumpkins hanging around this weekend too, and I made a very similar soup, but using a combination of pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots. Also used coconut milk, Thai curry paste and chicken stock, so we must have been channeling….I think I’m going to call mine “Beta Carotene Soup.”

18. Roxanne says

I highly recommend the Mae Ploy brand of curry pastes. These can be found at higher end groceries and Asian markets. They are very fresh, gluten-free, preservative free, very low in salt, and contain nothing artificial. They stay fresh a very long time because they contain so much chili, ginger, lemongrass, and galangal. Mae Ploy makes several different types of curry pastes, and my favorite for pumpkin soup is the masman curry paste, which is influenced by Thailand’s Islamic culture/demographic. It contains clove, cinnamon, and cardamom in addition to the traditional Thai ingredients.

I make my pumpkin curry soup by sauteing the curry paste in the coconut oil that floats to the top of the can of coconut milk (it’s easy to skim off) over medium heat until fragrant. I then add the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and low-sodium chicken broth; let it simmer for a while; and then finish with fresh apple cider, fish sauce (I believe Golden Boy brand is gluten-free), a little bit of yellow curry powder, and a shot of Applejack. The resulting soup is so delicious and complex, and it only gets better the longer it sits.

1. [...] Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup and Gluten-Free Chive Biscuits « Tasty Eats At Home tastyeatsathome.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/thai-curry-pumpkin-soup-and-gluten-free-chive-biscuits – view page – cached tags: biscuit recipe, chive biscuits, curry pumpkin soup, curry squash soup, gluten-free baking, gluten-free biscuits, herb biscuits, pumpkin coconut milk soup, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin soup, soup… (Read more)tags: biscuit recipe, chive biscuits, curry pumpkin soup, curry squash soup, gluten-free baking, gluten-free biscuits, herb biscuits, pumpkin coconut milk soup, pumpkin recipes, pumpkin soup, soup recipes, winter recipes by tastyeatsathome (Read less) — From the page [...]