Vegetarian Bean and Pumpkin Chili, plus a Gluten-Free Cheddar Serrano Biscuit

veggie chili

Dear Summer: It’s not that I don’t love what you bring…bountiful produce, long days, and barbeque parties by the pool. I love these things, I really do. It’s just time to move on. As you always do around here (in Texas), you overstay your welcome, and you don’t allow Autumn enough time to play. So please, let’s just part ways for the year. No hard feelings? I’ll welcome you with open arms next June, I promise!

It’s 95 degrees today here in North Texas. Hot and humid. There is a cold front in sight, they say, bringing cooler temperatures for the weekend. In my mind, it can’t get here fast enough. Apparently, my appetite agrees. My husband and I have been craving cool-weather dishes, as evidenced by my last few posts. (Shepherd’s pie just doesn’t cross most people’s minds when it’s hot outside.) When I was planning meals this past weekend, I decided upon a vegetarian chili – cool weather or not. Even if it won’t act like fall outside, I can still pretend, right?

This chili will likely reappear at our home in some version several times in the coming months. It was a snap to make, with minimal prep the night before, and a long, unattended simmer in the slow cooker. (Not to mention it was super-budget friendly!) Once it was nearing dinnertime, I had so little to prepare, I decided that an attempt at a gluten-free biscuit was needed.

Last week, I came across a gorgeous gluten-free biscuit recipe from Shelley at This Primal Life. (Shelley has a wonderful blog filled with healthy, gluten-free, grain-free recipes.) Gluten-free biscuits? Yes, it can be done. These babies were tender, with a delicious, cheesy flavor, and a very mild bite from the peppers. Oh, man. They were a dream. And for those of you that are watching your carb intake, these are right up your alley, as they’re made with almond flour. These are about as healthy a biscuit as they come, but you’d swear they were sinful. And they paired with the chili perfectly.

So if it’s still hot where you are, then feel free to pocket this recipe for a few weeks, until the air is crisp and those chili cravings set in. Or do like we did, and pretend.

For the chili:

1 1/2 lbs mixed variety of dried beans (I used yellow eye, African red beans, and flageolet – but I would think a mix of black, kidney, and pinto beans would work well)

28 oz can crushed tomatoes

1/2 cinnamon stick

2 t ground coriander

2-3 t salt (taste)

1 1/2 T chili powder

Several dashes of Tabasco

Garnishes:

Shredded cheese (omit or use dairy-free cheese if dairy-free/vegan)

Cilantro

Sour cream

Rinse the beans, and soak overnight. Rinse again and place beans in slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients and stir well. Cook on low for 8 hours or until beans are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve topped with desired garnishes. Serves 8.

cheddar jalapeno biscuit rounds

For the biscuit rounds, adapted from This Primal Life:

3 c almond flour

1 t baking soda

big pinch of salt

6 oz of cheddar cheese, grated

2 fresh serrano chiles, minced

3 eggs

1/4 c sour cream

1/2 c water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Mix in grated cheese and serranos. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, sour cream, and water. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until they just come together. Drop batter in large spoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Makes 12 rounds.

Hungry for more? This recipe and other Slightly Indulgent recipes are available on Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, as part of the weekly Slightly Indulgent Mondays, and also is linked to Miz Helen’s Chili Cookoff!

Comments

I’ve never cooked with almond flour before, and while I’m not gluten intolerant I am completely inspired to make this! And as for the chili … you are definitely speaking my language.

I wish we could have borrowed some of your summer – ours only lasted about 2 weeks. This chili sounds perfect for the days to come, though, and I wonder how it would taste with butternut squash instead of pumpkin (my parents brought me 5 of them and they should be ready to use by now). Also, thanks for introducing me to Shelley’s blog – it’s fabulous!

Katie – Butternut would be wonderful, I’d imagine. I actually had butternut in mind when composing this chili, as last winter I made a soup from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks that has butternut, adzuki beans, cinnamon, and chipotle. LOVE that soup, and wanted to mix and match those flavors into a chili.

Pumpkin — what a grand idea to add into chili! I may have to do a squash theme and add roasted chunks of pumpkin when the smaller sugar pumpkins show up in the stores. And toasted seeds on top for garnish would be good, too. Thanks for the inspiration, and yes, I agree, let’s give autumn a chance to shine!

Wasabi Prime – Your idea sounds SO good. I love the toasted seeds idea.

Greg/Sippity Sup – They are definitely pleasurable, regardless of whether you’re a gluten-hater or not! :)

Duodishes and Rebecca – Thanks!

Biz319 – My husband still will wish for me to make a true “Texas” chili, but this was definitely satisfying for both of us, even though it was meatless!

4. sippitysup says

I am not afraid of gluten and have no insensitivities in this regard. but I’d make these biscuits just ‘cuz they look and sound delicious! GREG

Another great dish for fall—pumpkin, serrano, and chipotle all together in one big pot sounds just right!
    –the biscuits are a perfect complement.

It was so muggy today. I can’t wait for the month of Fall that we get!! hehe

The chili and the biscuits look fantastic!! Can you taste the pumpkin? I bet it gives it such a creamy, rich flavor.
    And cheddar and serrano peppers sound great together.

Andrea, Jessie, Gina, and Debi – Thanks!

Chile Doctor – This sounds good! Hope it turns out well.

Natalie – it’s supposed to cool off here after the rain. And no, you can’t really taste the pumpkin. It just adds a nice creamy, subtly sweet taste to the chile.

I love pumpkin…this is going in my “to make” file. It looks great. I agree about the North Texas weather – I can’t believe we’ve had 2 days of rain!! And soft rain, too. Not the normal “Seek Cover Now” downpours. I’ve been walking the dogs in the mornings in a light drizzle and we love it.

About the beans…I usually use canned beans for my hummus but I decided to cook my own for the last batch I made. They were incredible – I called them ‘al dente.’ Not too hard and not too soft and they tasted FRESH!! I’m sold. Canned beans do have their place but not in my soups or hummus anymore.

I am trying to eat vegetarian a few days a week. I have also been craving chili – guess it’s the shorter days and cooler nights. This looks perfect!

Meatlessmama, Kevin, Junniemuffin, Helene, The Consummate Hostess – Thanks!

Jen – I try to incorporate a vegetarian meal once a week or so, just to keep costs down. Besides, it’s healthier! Thanks!

Amy – We’re loving the rain too. And yes, dried beans are definitely superior, if you have the time for them. I use both, just depending on what I’m making (and how much time I have.)

Trish – I agree!

Teanna – The past few days have been better, rainy and mid-70s. It’ll get warmer again before it really cools off, but this is still a pleasant change!

Melissa – I’m saving the rest of my flageolet beans for some version of a cassoulet (if I ever get around to it!). Glad I inspired you – let me know how it turns out!

Alta — this looks wonderful. I have a bag of flageolet beans in the pantry. I’ve never used them before. Pumpkin? What a great idea. You’ve inspired me to get to work on some version of this chili of yours. YUM!

Melissa

i’m a bakery/pastry freak!
    with your biscuits plus that irresistible chili, not kidding, but i think i could easily hv at least 2 bowls of chili and half dozen of biscuits!
    excellent job!

Lululu – I’m getting way into baking and pastry, ironically, since going gluten-free. I had to will myself not to eat ALL of those biscuits, believe me!

Raaga – I’m excited – I hope yours turns out scrumptious!

Hey….This recipe is tooooooooooooooooo perfect for my October newsletter! I wanted to see if I could get your approval to post it on my blog (Cooking with Kokopelli)…..I would give you the credit along with a link to your blog. I’ll be mailing out a newsletter with an update regarding new postings on my blog and the monthly specials. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

After your comment on my black bean soup recipe, I had to come over to your blog and see if you had posted the chili with pumpkin recipe—I’m glad it’s here! I’ll have to try it!

Wow, the chili looks so good I can almost smell it cooking now! And those biscuits?!?! I WILL be making those and thanks for mentioning the “carb” factor.

I so agree with you about summer in this part of Texas. WAY overstays its welcome! I’m glad the cool front finally got here. Welcome relief in temps and the rain has been heavenly!

Fabulous photos!

I am so excited that you brought your wonderful Bean and Pumpkin Chili over to The Cottage for The Texas Star Chili Cook Off. I can’t wait to try some of it, we are going to have so much fun.
    Thank You so much for coming over.

Congratulation’s Alta! You are the WINNER of the Meatless Category of the Texas Star Chili Cook Off! Your Chili was just amazing and the judges just loved it. Please come to The Cottage and pick up your Chili Pot. Email me with your information and I will have your “Miz Helen’s Kitchen Table” Cook Book on the way. Thank you so much for bringing your Chili to the Cook Off.
    Best Wishes!
    Miz Helen

16. Jeni Sanders says

This recipe is so good. I will make this again. I am always wondering what to do with all of the pumpkins that grow in my garden. I only have about 15 more to use. I substituted 1-2# of peeled, seeded and cut up pumpkin in place of the canned pumpkin. The problem was that when I read the ingredients list for the chilis in adobo there was wheat flour in them. We do not have celiacs so a little is OK. But if you have celiac’s try to find it gluten free. We have to be constantly vigilant to reading labels.

Jeni – so glad you enjoyed this! Sounds like you end up with a LOT of pumpkin. Yes, some brands of the chipotle chiles in adobo have wheat in them – PLEASE read labels if you have issues with gluten. I always buy the same brand – La Costena – as they are gluten-free. (http://www.mexgrocer.com/1349.html)